German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I may be misinterpeting but I feel like Lobo is becoming somewhat aloof despite our huge bond together. I raised Lobo since a pup of 8 weeks see him every 2x a week since then or more sometimes. Everytime he sees me he is beyond excitement and doesn't show this to others. Haven't seen it much in his owners either or other people besides me. Then he would lay on me as a greeting which is a friendship symbol :)! Kisses me to death and kisses me whenever he comes near me and constantly by free will. Follows me into the bathroom to at his place! We go on for walks just him and I and he is very happy. However, today he acted unusually different. I came by in a friend mom's car to be dropped off and Lobo's owner was there. Lobo was very excited to ease his excitement which is what the owners been working on so he won't jump and knock somebody over, I walked in the house. Lobo came in the house was very excited kissed me laid down on me got up 1 minute later. Then he laid down separate from me. When ever I sit by him usually he sits there with me for like 1-5 minutes then goes to another spot across from me. Before walks usually and acts the same afterwards sometimes. I tell him to to come whether in excitement or calm and he comes to me excitedly. However, today Lobo was opposite of that which is not like him. Lobo is not quite like the loyal German shepherds I have noticed. Owners and I cannot get him to come and Lobo is 18 months old.

For over a year the owners used the same trainer to teach Lobo come, but no progress is made not a bit. I think they should find a new trainer, personally. They do Positive Reinforcement only which is working, but not for come part. At least, if I tell Lobo to stay he will. However, when we go for walks he is always waring (sorry for incorrect word) to go! On walks he likes to go ahead but he is always on leash cause his recall is NOT good. Although, I train him to come and have to use treats. He listens to all my commands and knows I am the leader but listens to not everything. Though training business are the owners' business. When I talk to him he always looks at me. Today I was talking to him about personal relationships and he just looked at me as if he understood every word. I ask him, "Can we be best friends forever" and he just stands up and kisses me immediately. However, near ends of walks he starts to walk beside me nicely. Every time it is time to leave I tell him Lobo comes up for a hug and kisses all on his own. I say Lobo has some aloofness parts about him but in general is loving and affectionate. I do not mean to be bragging but Lobo's relationship with me is different than any other person including his owners. I have been raising him since 8 weeks and he stole some of my personalities!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Lovely story. Yes, I agree you will always have a special bond with Lobo even though he is growing up and forming a bond with his new owner.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but Lobo has shown somewhat aloofness towards me yesterday. That is not the same Lobo I knew from the past. I have given him all and we are great friends. Today he was aloof towards me at my house (very unlike him). Is that cause he is in his teen stage?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Definitely - typical teenage behavior. Lobo is a big boy now and is going through that stage. I suggest you do something with him that he likes to do- if he likes to play fetch or chase a ball - try that instead.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ Mary Beth
So it is normal for any dog regardless of breed to act aloof temporarily while going through the "teen stage"? I feel that as if our massive relationship he seems to severe somewhat of the relationship with his aloofness.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
yes - for most dogs. As teens, they are no longer wanting to do puppy cuddly stuff. Your lucky - my Sting never wanted cuddly stuff .

·
Registered
637 Posts
most guardian ,herding and other breeds as they mature become a bit aloof with people other then their owners.. some dogs stay all "labby" (love everyone even strangers), it all depends on the breed and genetics. my gsd is 3 , she greets every stranger as her bestest friend omgimissedyousomuchlovehugsomgomgomg... my pitx is aloof with strangers , will greet and say hi, but could care less after that ... my permanent foster is a husky/terrier mix and she is the same way, greet you but then done with you... as some dogs mature they become more aloof. dont take it personally

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@mebully21 actually I do take it personally. I raised Lobo since he was 8 weeks every week 2x or more i see him play, walk and he greets me beyond excitement. Lay down on me with the greeting starting today he no longer does lay down on top of me. However we go on walks and he is the same as he would always be and affectionate. Lobo and I are best friends was the most affectionate dog its like that lobo died and outcame a new Lobo. He even bared his teeth at me when I put my face closed and tried to bite my face today. Very unusual of him. He is a better friend than any other. He even comes when I call him better than his owners. He is no longer playful either. He stole some of my personality as well.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Maryellen has excellent advice. I really don't think you are being fair to Lobo or to yourself to take his behavior personally. Lobo can't stay an adorable puppy forever. He grew up. If you had been able to keep him, his behavior still would have changed as he matured.

·
Registered
637 Posts
honestly he is a DOG... not a human.. just because you raise a dog at 8 weeks for a bit doesnt mean he will be the same dog as he matures.. i have raised numerous dogs from puppies to adults.. all of them once matured were not lovey dovey..**** if i took it personal i would say that rufus tells me to go **** every day when he gives me the stink eye lol.. but he is a dog, with a dog personality of the breeds he is mixed with.
as far as lobo not liking faces in his face or being hugged- dogs just dont like that. they might tolerate it from some folks, and not from others..

lobo is maturing, he is NOT your dog- he belongs to another owner. honestly get over it and move on, if you keep harassng the dog with affection he will bite you and mean it, and you will then be in a world of hurt and hospital bills.l he has given you plenty of warnings to back up and stop invading his space... you have got to listen to him and stop treating him like a jilted lover.

also, my rufus that i raised from 8 weeks old and who is now 11 is aloof, and i dont hold it against him or think he is human. he is a DOG.he does worship me, as i am his owner, but he also has his own personality and is not a cuddly lovey dovey dog like pure pitbulls.. my gsd is lovey dovey to anyone - no stranger is enemy- but thats her genetic makeup.. and i got her at a year and a half. by 3 years old all dogs are mature. just accept lobo as he is and move on.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@mebully21 Not raising him for a bit a long time since 8 weeks years old literally every week 2x or more. He always loved affection. He always treated me like a lover until Tuesday. He will never betray me I do not want to admit it. You do not fully understand our relationship. You don't know how much I am feeling hurt like a human friend who starts to be cliche after a long time who sooner or later dumps me. This is not the same Lobo I once knew from 8 weeks- April 9, 2013. Maybe I will try giving him space or whatever and see what happens.

Lobo (a sable German shepherd) and I have been soulmates since the day I met him a 8 weeks. We carry a special bond. Every week since the day I met him I go up to his house play, walk, train, affection to one and another, lay on top of me as we greet, letting my face be close to him in lovable manner, beyond excitement when we greet (does this to no one but me including owners), follow me to the bathroom, come whenever I said his name in his home (doesn't listen much to owners), when its time to leave get up and lick me in a hug doesn't want me to leave even lays down on me so I won't go, play with me at anytime, snuggle, kiss me 24/7 when ever we are together and I can get them whenever I want and he is always willing to give me kisses, never aloof, jealous with other dogs to me, showed me he is my best friend in action, dream dog friend.

He is also more aloof to his lady owner Dianne. Dianne says she has never felt not much bonded to him as your previous dogs. Lobo however we have an incredible bond his bond towards me is stronger than any other person maybe except for the man owner Jim. Jim told me I mean the world to Lobo and when ever we tell Lobo I am coming he gets beyond excited! Sometimes when I sit by Lobo unless we are taking a break on a walk he separates himself from me. He used to NOT do that until Tuesday. He doesn't like to lay on top of me anymore since Tuesday! I put my face near him after a walk and he I think bared his teeth and snapped at me. I socialized him so well since 8 weeks doing everything so did owners though and he stole my personality. We ALWAYS were happy with each other no matter what. He was always playful until today and is not caring anymore. I felt like he cares more when we are on our walk but starting Tuesday afterwards not as much. Is he really turning on me? I thought dogs are supposed to be man's best friend better than human friends with no betrayal, aloofness, being mean, etc. Are we wrong? Perhaps the breeder where they got him from wasn't good after all? What is going on? I want my old Lobo back. Feels like a human teen friend has dump me even when he once said, "We will be best friends forever" and before he says this does many cliches towards me. Feels like Lobo my favorite best friend German shepherd is doing to me. Am I just misinterpeting Lobo or are my feelings instinct correct? I miss my old Lobo and feel like I do not know the new Lobo like a best friend turned against me. At least he isn't like this when we go for walks!

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our best man friend relationship is beyond anybody else besides owners.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When we go on walks he loves affection as if he is a different dog than he is at home.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now Lobo is 19 months and is a different dog than before starting Tuesday.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are in the house alone and can walk anywhere alone. He would be beyond excited and lovable constantly would love affection everyday until Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think you are suffocating this dog with affection that he doesn't want. He bared his teeth and snapped at you? that is a major hint that you need to give him some space, you are going to get yourself hurt

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Is he really turning on me? I thought dogs are supposed to be man's best friend better than human friends with no betrayal, aloofness, being mean, etc. Are we wrong? Perhaps the breeder where they got him from wasn't good after all? What is going on? I want my old Lobo back. Feels like a human teen friend has dump me even when he once said, "We will be best friends forever" and before he says this does many cliches towards me. Feels like Lobo my favorite best friend German shepherd is doing to me. Am I just misinterpeting Lobo or are my feelings instinct correct? I miss my old Lobo and feel like I do not know the new Lobo like a best friend turned against me. At least he isn't like this when we go for walks!
He's not turning on you, he's not YOUR dog. He is man's best friend - toward HIS owner. You are humanizing this dog way too much - dogs do not think in terms of cliches and friends and turning. And I agree - you are literally suffocating this dog with affection. Not all dogs WANT that!! You are going to get yourself seriously bit by forcing all this affection. Lay off him, he's a dog, not a human being. Play fetch with him, train with him, have fun with him. That is how you strengthen a bond. Not by putting your face in his face, and smothering him.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never thought that Lobo would turn on me. All this time I thought he loved me maybe truth is he really doesn't anymore... Most dogs love me.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was even his godfather.... our love was so strong and Lobo severed some of it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts