German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved to a new house where family has decided that dogs cant sleep inside the house. Well, this surely is just temporary as, as soon as I move to my own house in a year or two, they'll have their own place to stay.

As of now, my dogs are currently crated in the garage. I live in a tropical climate and hence no need to worry about them getting cold. During daytime, I let them play within a small confined area/playpen then put them back in their crates.

As I have to live with the present condition, I intend to build a kennel/dog run similar with the one in the picture. Half of it will be placed inside a balcony (which of course is connected to our house). With that, I am just 8 to 10 meters away from them during bedtime.

I dont know why I am a little hesitant to do this. Perhaps, I am just posting this to ask for confirmation that it's ok to do this thing. Few years ago, I was scolded by some forum members (doberman owners) when I asked for a good design of a kennel, saying it would be cruel to put them there instead of inside the house.

What are your views on this?

Care to give me an idea why others construct outdoor kennel when their dogs are going to live with them inside their house anyway?

Any suggestions to make it less "cruel" if those forum members were right?

By the way, my dog is being trained for IPO. (Just in csse that information matters.)
Might come up with few more questions.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I think with your current circumstances constructing a kennel for your dogs is a great idea! It's only cruel if you leave them in there all the time, not giving them adequate exercise and interaction/play time with you! Many dogs do not live in the house, and they do just fine!

Lots of people have outdoor kennels for their dogs to be in when they are gone or otherwise occupied and can't keep an eye on them. Even if the dogs do sleep in the house every night.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Keep in mind to look up your local animal laws - I'm not sure where you are located. There are certain requirements here in my county that went into effect this year about outside kennels. Dogs are not allowed on tie outs here either.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Totally agree @tim_s_adams.
Bud spent much of his free time in a dog run, although a much bigger one, since he was a beast. Basically he spent time in his crate when I was not there, free time supervised in the yard, walks and training, and in his run when the other dogs were out or I was occupied.
In our original house his run was 25x20 and adjoined the garage where he frequently hung out with hubby, the following house his run was an old storage area beside the house that was 8x30.

Make sure if you are having the dog stay in a run that they are getting adequate exercise AND attention!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quite relieved to see your replies! Thank you. Basically it's like he's having his own house. I will still stick with the usual routine: exercise/training in the morning and light exercise/training in the evening. Will still ask my helper to bring him to his potty area from time to time as I dont plan on making him get used to defacating on any part of his kennel/run.

Curious though if I could still train him to go potty on command with this setup? What would be the ideal routine then? When to put him inside crate and when to let him roam around his kennel?

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
The only thing I would suggest, because you can find a lot of kennel set ups online, is to make sure you have them on year round parasitic prevention for whatever bugs you may have lurking in your region.

Most dogs will keep their kennel clean, just like in the house, as long as they are given a chance to go outside of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts