German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. In one week we are going to the ortho doctor to discuss doing surgery for Max as he has mild HD. I have read so much technical information I really want to hear from others who are dealing with Hip Dysplasia. Those who were unable to do surgery how are your dogs getting along and how have they progressed from the time of diagnosis. Any out there that have surgery regrets? Any have regrets of not doing surgery? I have read that 70% of dogs with HD don't have surgery and live full lives as a family pet. Please share we want to make the right decision for Max.

Dawn

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi there,

My new guy, Rafi (in my avatar) has HD. I am giving him Springtime Inc.'s Longevity and it has helped him a lot. He is a normally active dog--walks 4-6 miles a day, gets lots of off leash play time, chases balls and plays with other dogs. I do limit his running and jumping but that's it. I plan to get him surgery in a few years when I can afford a total hip replacement. He is my second dog with HD and my first (Massie) had severe bilateral HD. When she was 5 I got her a total hip on one side. She lived to be almost 12. She went hiking, backpacking, xx skiing, etc. with me.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Rudy: severe HD--total hip replacement at 18 m/o. Absolutely no regrets!
Lilly: Mild to moderate HD. I just keep her slim, have her walk in shallow water once in a while. If it gets as bad as Rudy I have no reservation about surgery on her. It's a cure.
Both dogs are on Dasuquin w/ MSM.

Not to hawk a book, but there is a great ebook from http://www.mypoordog.com
It has owner's stories of how they managed their dog, and the results they have found. It covers THR, FHO, and conservative management/supplements. I found it to be well worth the $15 I paid for the download.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Both of my boys have mild hd...and are asymptomatic also. Caesar is worse than Brutus. I've had them on Cosequin DS since they were wee pups, I keep them lean, I use - don't abuse them (we don't jump/run them real hard), and I say my prayers. I don't plan to touch them unless they start having trouble.

As far as surgeries go, Echo has done several of these over the last year for our fosters and they've brought a whole new life to those dogs who were having symptoms and struggling. It can be life changing to a dog, truly life altering. Enough to make me realize that I would have it done with my dogs if the need ever arose.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I think I posted something similar the other day..but Meeka had HD and at age 5 had an FHO which apparently was a "must do" surgery from what I know. She was asymptomatic for the most part until then, and always a thin dog. I am not sure what set off her having to have surgery all of the sudden.

She lived to be healthy and happy (although her gait was never the same) until the age of 12. So, no regrets

Her surgery was in '99-00 and honestly my husband did not know anything as far as diet, supplements and all the other therapies that may or may not have been out there. I did not either (we were not married then anyway).

So that was our experience, but it seems like there is a lot of other ways, like posted above, to deal with HD.

Wish you the best

·
Registered
714 Posts
Almost every dog I have ever shared my life with have had hip dysplasia or arthritis. The big thing I have learned is to treat the signs and symptoms I see and not the radiographs I may get.

My Angel Bonnie (Lab GSD mix) lived to be 19 years old and had severe hip dysplasia and arthritis. She was managed with supplements and pain medications, going to rehabilitation and getting a wheelchair to help support her hips as she aged.

In contrast, Shep (Border Collie lab mix), showed absolutely no signs of any problems until he suddenly came up lame at 12 years old. We were astounded by his radiographs (see below!). He had both hips replaced (right side aged 12, left side at 13years old) and he returned to chasing squirrels within 3 months.

If you want a laugh (it's not funny but if you don't laugh you'll cry) then look at the following radiograph. My two GSD's, Spirit and Eli have hindlimb deformities. Their radiographs show severe dysplasia - yes, their femoral heads really do not sit anywhere near their pelvis, they free float above the iliac crest, held in place by their musculature. I should add that neither is painful and both run like the wind.

Wishing you the best with Max

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
One of my girls was diagnosed with HD in her left hip when she was about 7 months old. I've never noticed her in any pain but the joint clicks when she trots. She is now 5 years old, and runs, jumps and plays just as hard as the other dogs. I try to take her swimming as often as I can (she absolutely loves to swim) and have had her on joint supplements since she was diagnosed.

Here was the x-ray when she was a few months shy of 4 years old:

Since there are so many dogs that never show a problem I decided not to put her through surgery unless her hip starts to bother her. So far I am happy with that decision.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I did want to add something. With my first dog I did not limit her activity at all and even let my roommates take her running. I do regret that and wish I had restricted high impact activities more because I think it did cause her more problems later because of that.

That's why I restrict Rafi with high impact activities. He still gets to run and jump and play with other dogs but I don't let him run on hard surfaces and I don't let him run and jump as much as I would a dog who did not have joint issues.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankyou everyone! It makes me feel better to hear from others. I will do a new post on June 30 after our trip to the ortho doctor.

Dawn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts