German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 6 year old shepherd got results of a blood test back and his ALT (whatever that is) was over 1000 and the vet suggested an ultrasound.We aren`t rolling in cash and this is kind of steep so we are looking for advice.This poor boy has had lots of problems,he was diagnosed with EPI at about two and we have been giving him Pancrezyme since.We don`t know if any of this is tied together or not.He acts normal but want to be proactive now that we know something is wrong.
Have read about Denamarin,milk thistle,vitamin K,b-12 and that Heartguard was bad for the liver but Interceptor is ok.

Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I suggest you discuss the siutation with your vet - ask what the ALT means and how much the ultrasound will cost and about payment plans. I agree with you it is better to be proactive and also that can be less expensive in the long run to treat the condition in its early stages.

·
Registered
391 Posts
We opted for a liver bile test. It came back neg for abnormalities so the vet didn't see a reason to proceed with further, more invasive tests. She had given us denamarin. She also prescribed a handful of antibiotics and vit. E. I'd ask about other possible testing that wouldn't be as expensive as ultrasound .

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts