German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gunther is my 9 month old pup and he only barks very very rarely. Maybe a handful of times to get my husband to play and when he wants my mother in laws dog (who hates him) to play. He has never been vocal towards people (other than wanting my husband to play) or strangers. Is this odd? Will it ever change? I have no issue with his lack of barking, I know when he sees someone because he goes into the what I consider "alert mode" ears way up, head held very tall and just throws off the vibe of "I'm watching you :wild: " Anyway is his behavior odd in a gsd?

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Mine was the same way. He still is a very quiet dog. Only barks when he thinks something is off, or when someone is at the door. Or if someone sets off his creep-o-meter.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Nope...at least just in my opinion. Finn barely barks at all and he's 5 years old. He barely barked as a pup; he made more noise when he was finding his big boy bark, but now he'll only bark when someone comes to the door. Even then, it's only a bark or two, nothing more.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He just licks whatever strangers come to the door and doesn't bark. Though when we went on a walk this week (his first time at a park) he just spectated. There were two ladies that wanted to pet him and they offered their hands but he just stood there watching them so I told them that maybe he was just too distracted by all the bird noises so they wouldn't be offended that he didn't want to see them. It was the first time I've ever seen him wary of people. He loves everyone at pet stores and the vet.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My guy rarely barks he's 9 months too. He'll alert me if someone is at the door I tell him "okay thank you" and he stops. He's only barked at one person out in public it was on a walk and right after the guy knelt over and threw up and ran away! He sensed something was off...

There were two ladies that wanted to pet him and they offered their hands but he just stood there watching them so I told them that maybe he was just too distracted by all the bird noises so they wouldn't be offended that he didn't want to see them. It was the first time I've ever seen him wary of people. He loves everyone at pet stores and the vet.
He's a maturing German Shepherd -Nice and aloof ;-)

My pup won't give anyone else, besides my husband, the time of day and totally blows them off :-D I tell them he's not a lab :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts