German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days I have noticed a slight limp when Jake gets to an almost trot, when he walks slow I don't see it. I really can't tell if it front left or rear it's that slight. He has been licking his back left paw but I see nothing there. I have felt him and moved him around and he shows no sign of pain.

However, I would like to give him something like a natural anti-inflammatory....or asprin? Any suggestions? I think I read from an another poster here that vit c is great long term....but what can I do now? At this point it doesn't require a vet trip at all.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
my vet prescribed some anti-inflamatories for Cody when he got his 2nd round of pano.

not sure about the asprin....poor jake :(

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
The last few days I have noticed a slight limp when Jake gets to an almost trot, when he walks slow I don't see it. I really can't tell if it front left or rear it's that slight. He has been licking his back left paw but I see nothing there. I have felt him and moved him around and he shows no sign of pain.

However, I would like to give him something like a natural anti-inflammatory....or asprin? Any suggestions? I think I read from an another poster here that vit c is great long term....but what can I do now? At this point it doesn't require a vet trip at all.
It would require a vet trip if it was my dog.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the concern....he just got a push and play and I think he over did it....
I was asking those of you with knowledge about a natural anti-inflammtory. Not concern yourself with whether I need a vet. LOL Give me a break...never mind.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should add that I am well aware of when Jake needs to see a vet....it's not my first time at the rodeo. I clearly said this doesn't need to be seen.....however I couldn't remember if it was aspirin and the dosage....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks for the concern....he just got a push and play and I think he over did it....
I was asking those of you with knowledge about a natural anti-inflammtory. Not concern yourself with whether I need a vet. LOL Give me a break...never mind.
My foster (the clutz) gave himself a good limp playing fetch a few weeks ago, and I didn't give him anything besides starting him in Ester-C because he was incredibly poor at self limiting as it was. If he was pain free he would have been worse! I'm not sure what is out there for a holistic, more immediate relief anti-inflammatory. I agree that a bit of a limp with a known mechanism of injury doesn't need an immediate trip to the vet. I certainly don't go to the doctor every time I strain a muscle (he would be very mad at me!)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Minnie has a limp right now, probably from too much fetch, and our vet tech said to give her a baby asprin (81mg) twice a day and see if it helps.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I agree with the C. You can give up to 2000mg a day(split between meals and slowly go up to that dosage over a weeks time) and it does help reduce the length of Pano bouts because it reduces inflammation.
EsterC supposedly has too much calcium for young pups, so go with plain C if your pup is still growing.
I used Ascriptin(coated aspirin) when Onyx had her bad bouts. For the milder ones, I just let the dogs self limit their exercise.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dosage of aspirin for dogs is 5-10 mg/lb of body weight twice a day. And apparently dogs can't digest the coating on aspirin, so you need to use uncoated :)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Hmm, I never heard that, I think the digestive juices would break down the coating. Why would my vet suggest that?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting...I would think if they can digest bone then a dog can digest the coating on an aspirin??? I think it may be a mild touch of Pano. :(

He really seems fine, you really have to watch closely to see it unless he has the zoomies...then you can see his run is a little off. I am going to continue some aspirin and monitor him. We are supposed to visit another ScH club tmrw....:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts