German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update on litter mates:

They are as of today 14 weeks old! I can’t believe it’s been 6 weeks since we’ve brought them home and 10 weeks since they first became ours.

I’m doing an update because there were some people who were worried about them and the issues that can arise. And also share a little of my journey so far.

We brought Odin and Layla home at 8 weeks old. We already had a large crate from our previous GSD. We put the divider in and let them sleep on the same side for about the first 5 days. We also slept next to their crate at night for those first 5 days as well.

After that we kept them in the same crate but on separate side which is still how they sleep now. We are currently waiting on the arrival of the second crate because they’re staring to annoy each other when ones trying to nap lol.

I thought this was important to mention because I felt like it helped them adapt to being in a new lace quicker, as well as made it easier for crate training since they had each other.

At first they did whine some when we starting have one out at a time for small training sessions, but they quickly got over that because I would come back into the room and reward them once the settled down. Now we can leave one in the crate alone no issue.

The main concern with raising litter mates is separation issues and them becoming bonded to each other. That issue was always on the back of mind.

I take them each to the bathroom separately and neither ever has an issue being away from the other. Same goes for when they go on their walks and outside for playtime or for home training.

There isn’t any whining from the one being left behind either. I feel like they enjoy their time apart, especially Odin cause Layla can be annoying when they’re both free in the living room for play time.

When at the vet and one went back for shots and the other stayed with me, again fine. No whining or trying to go back to the other.

Now I know my limitations and obedience training two puppies is a lot. So we will be taking our pups for private lessons to a facility that breeds and specializes in training working line GSDs in the beginning of August. They also train their dogs in IPO.

I want to be confident that their needs are being met, plus Layla is starting to get a little wild when they’re playing. I believe she is trying to assert her dominance. She is 6 pounds lighter and also shorter then Odin. So he can easily overpower her, but it takes a lot for him to get mad and when she’s being too annoying he will usually just sit on her lol.

He has a higher drive then she does and even though I don’t plan on training in IPO or competing, I do want to train in obedience with both continuously and eventually try out some dock diving classes with Odin. And agility for Layla. She hates water, but her small stature and quickness would be perfect for agility.

They’ve got down some back obedience. Sit, down, and wait. They know to wait until released for their food. And I always make them work for the ball when playing fetch. Odin is getting leave it pretty quickly.

I’m hoping on working on engagement with the trainer, as well as just training myself to work with my dogs drive and obedience.

Sorry for the long post! Just thought an update would be appreciated for those who worried.

Overall, they are doing awesome. No attachment issues so far. And they’re bonding well with us. I can tell Odin is starting to really bond closely with me. Layla just loves to cuddle both of us. She’s a little lazy and stubborn, but we love her. And working with her on that stubbornness.

I’ll show you some photos. Haven’t had chances to take a lot of good ones cause I’m always so absorbed in them! And I forget to take pictures. First and last is Odin at 8 weeks and 13 and a half weeks. Puppy with ears down is Layla at 8 weeks. Have no good ones of her now! Will update thread when I get one. Her ears are up now!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
Thanks for the update. It good to see you've put a lot of thought into this. Making sure each has alone time will probably go a long way. Well done.

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
Keep up with the updates, good and bad, and in 12 years or so, we can have a complete case of how it goes with littermates. Sometimes.

Reactions: Nikka Khrystyne

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
What you really want is for both of your dogs to listen when they are together. That is more important than each of them listening independently with you alone. I suspect you did not get them so that one of them could sit home alone all the time, you wanted to do things together. Here is a nice video which demonstrates how to train both of your puppies at the same time. https://youtu.be/dtcwIAtjnuM

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What you really want is for both of your dogs to listen when they are together. That is more important than each of them listening independently with you alone. I suspect you did not get them so that one of them could sit home alone all the time, you wanted to do things together. Here is a nice video which demonstrates how to train both of your puppies at the same time. https://youtu.be/dtcwIAtjnuM
I will for user watch that video! And I’m working with each and gaining a connection independently so when I am with them and need them both to listen they will. We do stuff together just the three of us, but we’re srill working on them not engaging constantly when they’re together.

Like right now we are all three out but I’m playing separate games with each and taking turns being with one. When my husband is home is usually when I take them both out at once to play!

I’m trying to form a strong bond with each if that makes sense?

I’ve trained them separately to sit and down and wait. And once they got those pretty well individually, i am now able to get them both to sit, down and wait together.

It may be a slowerly route but they have such different learning styles. Layla has to have shorter more frequent sessions because she loses interest fast and I like to always end on a good note.

Odin can train for way longer and I don’t have to as frequent with him. He’s more focused and willinging to train.

I think it allows me to put all my focus on one dog and bond closely with them.

Usually a couple times a week I will have a session where I focus on things I know they both are doing well with and train them together. They have such different needs and learning paces I think I’d be more difficult to always train together.

Plus they are working on different things at the moment!

But I’d do appreciate the video I’m gonna give it watch for when I am doing joint training :grin2:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Definitely watch that video, sooner rather than later! Stonnie Dennis is great! It gives you an idea of how to work well with two puppies at once, that's for sure! But it also illustrates really well how to work with any puppy, so that'll be helpful whether you're working them separately or together! He has tons of great videos on YouTube, so watch other as well!

I have a 5 lb Chihuahua houseguest right now, and I've been working with him along with my 80 lb GSD. He came to us with nearly no training at all, so I used my pup, Nyx, to help him learn simple commands like sit and down. Anyway, after a few evening sessions like that, where I had them both do the same command, I've now started to have one stay in a sit or a down while the other comes forward and does something else. The Chihuahua has this thing he's really good at, which I call the "dance" where he will stand on his hind legs and spin. Nyx doesn't do that one LOL, thank God! Anyway, it's coming along much better than I had envisioned, so it's been good for both of them! Good luck with your puppies!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely watch that video, sooner rather than later! Stonnie Dennis is great! It gives you an idea of how to work well with two puppies at once, that's for sure! But it also illustrates really well how to work with any puppy, so that'll be helpful whether you're working them separately or together! He has tons of great videos on YouTube, so watch other as well!

I have a 5 lb Chihuahua houseguest right now, and I've been working with him along with my 80 lb GSD. He came to us with nearly no training at all, so I used my pup, Nyx, to help him learn simple commands like sit and down. Anyway, after a few evening sessions like that, where I had them both do the same command, I've now started to have one stay in a sit or a down while the other comes forward and does something else. The Chihuahua has this thing he's really good at, which I call the "dance" where he will stand on his hind legs and spin. Nyx doesn't do that one LOL, thank God! Anyway, it's coming along much better than I had envisioned, so it's been good for both of them! Good luck with your puppies!
I will give that a watch tonight after pups are down for the night! Thank you for the positivity! I’ll keep you guys updated on further trianing updates!:smile2:

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I watched the video and loved that idea. I practiced it with both this evening and we were walking, sitting, turning and downing in unison (Deja off leash and Griff on a prong without corrections needed!). Very fun to do. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
As a person who has had multiple puppies on many occasions, I can tell you the way you are raising them is excellent. It’s not a disaster to raise multiple pups if you put the time, thought, and effort in it. Some folks assume that owners won’t do it and many owners don’t and get over their heads. But it sounds like you are raising the two better than most raise one....continue the good work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts