German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter what I try, 14 week old Nietzche is driving me insane. I take her out on lead...and no matter what I have tried (everything posted here) her biting has NOT decreased.

Tonight while walking her she bit me through my jeans SO hard that I have four puncture marks in the back of my calf. My arms and hands look like I've been through a food processor.

Is there a time that one must resort to negative reinforcement to stop this behavior? I am TRULY at my wit's end with this puppy! :(

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Please find patience.
They do grow out of it, I promise. But it won't be any time soon, it will be around 6 months when she stops this.
Nothing I did with Hans worked, except time. He lunged, he bit, he got my chest, my behind...my arms looked as if I had escaped prison over razor wire :crazy:
To pet him, I would literally take advantage of the 5 seconds I had when he was waking up from a nap. Then, he would start to gator, and he was relentless.
When he stopped, I wrote this post.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/185213-all-you-who-have-had-landshark.html

I think that is part of the pride of owning a GSD. Most of us are land shark survivors.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Good news you! You only have about 2 more months of the land shark phase :wild: bring toys out on walks -keep redirecting. After teething it gets better.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Wait... I just looked at your first post... She's a Narnia puppy? :rofl:

In this pic she looks exactly like Hans! :D Can you post her pedigree?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now, it seems as if we will never "get there." 4 to 6 weeks seems like an eternity. I play with her, use a flirt pole, chew toys, she always has her deer antler, we tug, play with towels, etc...and then I walk her and she literally bit me so hard she brought me to my knees in the middle of the road.

Sorry to vent, I've just had it for now. She can sit in her crate all by herself and yip her brains out for the rest of tonight...I have some nasty wounds of my own to attend to. I've even resorted to holding her mouth shut when she bites and tell her NO BITE, then I let go, which works for about ten seconds. Then she's at it again. It's the "sneak attacks" that are the worst...walking along, and then...WHAM. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ahaha I understand this. My pup used to bite so much! Now he's a lot better and honestly. Nothing helped. If she sees you as an alpha then she thinks she's playing, I found high pitched yelps and stuff did not help at all. I had to enforce the fact that I was alpha and that I didn't like to be bit by marking negatively with a uh-uh him whenever he bit and then getting in his face, pushing my body into his and getting him to back down. At first he would growl cause he didn't like it but whatever he got over it.
When he did it to my younger sister, she's really meek and pathetic, I told her to do what I do but it didn't work, I had to keep his leash in my pocket at all times whenever they were around each other and if he started to nip then I put his leash on, pulled it to the floor and stepped on it as close to his body as I could, without hurting him of course, and at first I had to wear shoes because he would go after my feet for keeping him down but I would mark that and eventually he stopped both nipping at my feet and sister.
I don't know if these are negative reinforcements but it worked for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, she is a Narnia puppy!!

Parents were separately imported to California from Narnia Kennels...she is the last pup of the last litter they'll ever have.

Why laughing? Sure, I can post her pedigree, from her grandparents on up. Let me scan them both and upload them? It'll take me a few minutes...

Gotta ask, why laughing?!?!

Wait... I just looked at your first post... She's a Narnia puppy? :rofl:

In this pic she looks exactly like Hans! :D Can you post her pedigree?

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Look in my signature.:)

Narnia breeds high drive dogs for sport.

I just found it funny, actually, delightful, that another member here is her wits' and with the land sharking from a Narnia puppy.
Believe me, I know what you are going through.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Right now, it seems as if we will never "get there." 4 to 6 weeks seems like an eternity. I play with her, use a flirt pole, chew toys, she always has her deer antler, we tug, play with towels, etc...and then I walk her and she literally bit me so hard she brought me to my knees in the middle of the road.

Sorry to vent, I've just had it for now. She can sit in her crate all by herself and yip her brains out for the rest of tonight...I have some nasty wounds of my own to attend to. I've even resorted to holding her mouth shut when she bites and tell her NO BITE, then I let go, which works for about ten seconds. Then she's at it again. It's the "sneak attacks" that are the worst...walking along, and then...WHAM. :(
Sometimes they just get in the right spot! Crating when you need a break is perfectly fine. Keep with the redirecting! One day you'll be able to pet your pup without her going after your hand and you'll have your best friend and once the scars fade you will forget about this stage and then puppy fever will strike again! :crazy:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That IS funny, with all of the people on this forum, what are the chances?

Well then yes, you know EXACTLY what I am going through here. Nietzsche is not my first GSD, she is my second. But whoa...is she FULL OF IT! Mom and Dad are both very laid back...but are AWESOME at tracking...etc. Both very intelligent dogs! GORGEOUS confirmation...true, beautiful working dogs with incredible top lines, etc. as you already know... :D Her lines are mostly Czech. And WHOA, they DO look a lot alike, how old was Hans when that pic was taken?

Look in my signature.:)

Narnia breeds high drive dogs for sport.

I just found it funny, actually, delightful, that another member here is her wits' and with the land sharking from a Narnia puppy.
Believe me, I know what you are going through.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sometimes they just get in the right spot! Crating when you need a break is perfectly fine. Keep with the redirecting! One day you'll be able to pet your pup without her going after your hand and you'll have your best friend and once the scars fade you will forget about this stage and then puppy fever will strike again! :crazy:

I am 47, and I do believe this will be my LAST puppy! I think about doing this again in 10 to 15 years and I think...NOPE, I will adopt an adult GSD in need of a forever home. She got me so hard that I finally just stopped bleeding. My German WL boy was never, ever this nippy...not even close!!

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Well, here is to you having the fortitude to get through the next couple of months.

Hang in there.
In case you missed it, here is my Narnia dog's first year. Notice the resemblance?
YouTube

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is acting in a similar way...first we get past the bite, then it's my shoes, etc. I have pinned her to the ground...not hurt her but she HATES it and behaves for a bit, and then does it all over again like nothing ever happened! I think she likes the reaction she gets, good or otherwise. I can't ignore it...(well, I could technically...but what good does that do?)
Much more of this I'll need a blood transfusion! :eek:

Ahaha I understand this. My pup used to bite so much! Now he's a lot better and honestly. Nothing helped. If she sees you as an alpha then she thinks she's playing, I found high pitched yelps and stuff did not help at all. I had to enforce the fact that I was alpha and that I didn't like to be bit by marking negatively with a uh-uh him whenever he bit and then getting in his face, pushing my body into his and getting him to back down. At first he would growl cause he didn't like it but whatever he got over it.
When he did it to my younger sister, she's really meek and pathetic, I told her to do what I do but it didn't work, I had to keep his leash in my pocket at all times whenever they were around each other and if he started to nip then I put his leash on, pulled it to the floor and stepped on it as close to his body as I could, without hurting him of course, and at first I had to wear shoes because he would go after my feet for keeping him down but I would mark that and eventually he stopped both nipping at my feet and sister.
I don't know if these are negative reinforcements but it worked for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, here is to you having the fortitude to get through the next couple of months.

Hang in there.
In case you missed it, here is my Narnia dog's first year. Notice the resemblance?
YouTube
Whoa, that's incredible..!!! More similarities than differences-they could TRULY be litter mates!

What a GORGEOUS boy he is! :D

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
So glad to see you here. :)
And thank you... Quite a gorgeous little bundle of teeth you have, too! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
She is acting in a similar way...first we get past the bite, then it's my shoes, etc. I have pinned her to the ground...not hurt her but she HATES it and behaves for a bit, and then does it all over again like nothing ever happened! I think she likes the reaction she gets, good or otherwise. I can't ignore it...(well, I could technically...but what good does that do?)
Much more of this I'll need a blood transfusion! :eek:
Those puppy teeth will get you!

Are you pinning her like putting your hand around her neck and pushing her to the floor?

I would try the negative mark and just get in her face. Dogs instinctively do not like things in their face and will do whatever they can to get away (this is also a great way to teach personal space!)

Forcing her to the ground physically vs with a leash is a lot different. If you do it physically they may think you're playing, where as doing it with the leash, they know its a reprimand. It's a kind of time out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So glad to see you here. :)
And thank you... Quite a gorgeous little bundle of teeth you have, too! :D
Thank you! We've stopped calling her the land shark, she is now the "furry piranha." :wild:

It helps knowing you (and Hans) survived this...right now I'm just tired and sore...these pups are beautifully bred, I guess there's a price (sanity and skin) that must be paid for having such awesome dogs. Nietzche's nose is already in high gear, I think she will be an excellent tracker. I want to do some SchH with her just for discipline... With her pedigree (same with Hans) they've certainly got the bloodlines (not to mention the energy) for it!

I'm looking to see if these two have any bloodlines in common...sort of hard to follow what I have here...lots of searching!

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Yeah.
Then she will get bitten in the face.
Believe me, all that works is repeated redirection ( although they will bypass the toy and go for your skin! )and time!

Are you pinning her like putting your hand around her neck and pushing her to the floor?

I would try the negative mark and just get in her face. Dogs instinctively do not like things in their face and will do whatever they can to get away (this is also a great way to teach personal space!)

Forcing her to the ground physically vs with a leash is a lot different. If you do it physically they may think you're playing, where as doing it with the leash, they know its a reprimand. It's a kind of time out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have been using the leash...and she hates it, hates it, HATES it, but obviously not enough to stop doing this. She is SO sneaky in how she goes about this...I have gotten in her face...she looks at me like "what, me? I didn't do anything!" Go back to whatever we were doing, and she starts in all over again. When she almost bit me...we stopped that. She has learned to sit with NO problem, took her about 3 minutes to figure that out; now we're having fun barking at cars if one comes down my road. Never a dull moment. Too full of herself to stay...sit, she's good, stay? Ugh. I have tried standing on the leash so that she's stuck, her head not far from the ground, telling her NO BITE. NO BITE, NO BITE. I am not afraid to be firm with her...she knows darned well when I am not happy...but whoa...those teeth...are brutal----to say the least.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts