German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An FYI for for people who were unaware that the GreatDaneLady does indeed recommend other feeds she approves of and respects.

They are listed here below and are listed on her site.

List of Quality Dog Foods (Kibble)

Eagle Pack
800-255-5959

Prescise Plus
800-446-7148

Nature's Variety Prairie

Timberwolf Organics

Wellness

Back to Basics
800-219-2558

PHD
800-320-7062

Wysong

Innova - Calif Naturals - EVO

Azmira
http://www.azmira.com

Karma Organic Food For Dogs
800-532-7261

Fromms 4 Star Dry
800-325-6331

Flint River Ranch
909-682-5048

Life Abundance
800-748-0188

Blackwood
800-226-4613

Healthwise

Pinnacle
800-255-4280

Natural Balance * CURRENTLY ON RECALL LIST
800-829-4493

Canidae / Felidae

Cherri

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Angela Linda does a lot more to check out a product than read the ingredient list, nothing like the WDJ IMO.

I did not want people thinking that Linda only recommends two foods as that is not true. She has her favorites like we all do of course but does recommend other foods and adds to the list when she finds another one she likes.

Cherri

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Why is NB listed as being on a current recall list? Is there a current recall that I don't know of?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:I have a feeling this list has not been recently updated. It's missing Orijen, TOTW and a few others I'm sure she would approve of. Plus Timberwolf is a bit iffy now.
Agreed, and also what about Canidae? Is that the old formula? New formula? Both?

-Jackie

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Looks like a list that anyone here who knows even a little about kibble would recommend. Why do we have to equate feeding and diet with rocket science? From the big hoo-ha on feeding studies, you'd think dogs absolutely couldn't have survived back in the day. If the dog doesn't have a health problem, it's pretty simple: least processing possible, most meats, good variety while keeping some "just in case" proteins out of the mix, minimize/eliminate the grains, have a higher energy content to feed less to get more, get the right protein levels, and there you go. Don't need a puppy food and a senior food and a "dogs that are 24", 70 lbs, with medium length hair that only play frisbee" food.

With the genetic clones that were just born, that would be great to do a feeding study on. Feed one littermate Pedigree, the other a kibble from this list, and the third feed raw. It'd be interesting!

·
Registered
377 Posts
It seems like the list just needs to be updated. I'd be shocked if with an update she wouldn't have Orijen and a couple others on there, and that Timberwolf would be off the list.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Personal agenda? isn't any opinion pretty much culpable of that?
Introducing Linda Arndt is both informative and educational.

As often as Leerburg is offered as a info source, I don't think I've ever seen a mod rebuke anyone for "personal agendas".

As for Merrick, doesn't it have that fake vitamin K3, menadione in it?

<span style="color: #3333FF">Dog Dog Project's opinion on K3 additive</span>

As for rocket science, it is over the top, after all, dogs are biologically successful scavengers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerDo we need more sources of places/people telling us what dog food is better than another IN Their Opinion? There are enough lists, reports, recommendations to make your head spin.

Val
DITTO...

Personally I don't think it matters who recommends what food. It depends on your dog, and your own research...I could also list a number of kibbles on a website that I recommend, however it does not mean that each dog would do well on those..

I don't feed my kibble fed dogs corn, as it bothers them badly. I tend to stay away from a kibble that have certain other ingredients as well due to "my" dogs. That does not mean the next dog will have the same problems, that bother my dogs..

I do feed raw to most of my dogs, but my kibble fed dogs can tolerate "certain" grains.. Right now my kibble fed dogs are on a grain free kibble, with a mixture of raw/home-cooked..

Individual people can recommend all they want, including myself of course, but our dogs are the true test on what they can tolerate...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I said, this was posted due to a thread that was locked. Some people were under the impression that Linda only recommended 2 foods. This list was just informing people that she does recommend others *for* her distinct feeding programs.

She puts foods on the list that fit certain guidelines she has personally. If someone would like to suggest a food be added they can contact her and suggest it. I personally am satisfied with the list as it is.

as for the Vitamin K3 issue here are my conclusions on the subject
http://www.eastgsd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20

Cherri

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:As I said, this was posted due to a thread that was locked.
Doesn't a thread getting locked generally mean that the participants are to stop discussing that subject as it either violates board rules or has just become entirely uncivil or pointless?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here is also a Vetrinary Nutrionists view on Menadione, from http://www.petdiets.com.

Question
I was wondering what your take is on Menadione Sodium Bisulfite. I have attempted to do some research on its benefits and have found only blogs and message board discouraging owners from purchasing food that contain this ingredient. The only exception is a rather old study that was done with chickens.
From what I gathered, the study showed that when the feed was supplemented with Menadione, there is little to no instances of vitamin K deficiencies and no appreciable signs of side effects. This seems to me like a good thing, however, I would feel more comfortable having a little more data to support any claim one way *or* another.

I am a student in the Animal and Nutritional Science program as well as a pet owner and veterinary nurse so in the interest of me pet''s health and the clients that rely on our practice food recommendations, (and personal curiosity) I would appreciate any insight you may have.

Answer
We too have looked behind the blog and internet gossip for the data. We have conferred with other veterinary nutritionist to be sure we were not missing some important piece of data. We have decided that there is no creditable problem known to date with using Menadione in pet foods.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Ok. So Natural Balance DOES NOT have a recall going on.

I like NB. I sometimes recommend NB. I rotate/feed NB. So I want to make sure NB information is accurate.

If we're going to post an informative and educational thread, the information should as be current, and as accurate as possible. (The last NB recall was in July 2007 according to the best information I could find).

Someone passing by might glance at that list and without reading any further, if they feed their dog NB, and kind of freak

I'd want information on Kibbles and Bits to be accurate too, actually. No sense scaring people, if that's what they choose/need to feed.

(Boy, I've really been bashing K&B lately, haven't I?
That's what I get for reading grocery store labels.
)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomOk. So Natural Balance DOES NOT have a recall going on.

I like NB. I sometimes recommend NB. I rotate/feed NB. So I want to make sure NB information is accurate.

If we're going to post an informative and educational thread, the information should as be current, and as accurate as possible. (The last NB recall was in July 2007 according to the best information I could find).

Someone passing by might glance at that list and without reading any further, if they feed their dog NB, and kind of freak

I'd want information on Kibbles and Bits to be accurate too, actually. No sense scaring people, if that's what they choose/need to feed.

(Boy, I've really been bashing K&B lately, haven't I?
That's what I get for reading grocery store labels.
)
I like NB also
Did wonders for my allergy dog!

I personally am not one for websites like this, especially ones that are so outdated..I do think most have heard of all the kibbles listed, so then it becomes a matter of what YOUR dog does well on...There are so many other kibbles out there, and everyone needs to keep this in mind..That is why research is so important:)

OFF THE TOPIC big time...Hey 3K9Mom where are you getting those extra smileys from?

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Originally Posted By: EastGSDAs I said, this was posted due to a thread that was locked. Some people were under the impression that Linda only recommended 2 foods. This list was just informing people that she does recommend others *for* her distinct feeding programs.
Cherri
It was locked for personal attacks between members. If the innuendos continue, this one will be locked as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts