German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were at the Vet's office today for a heartworm check and a Trifexis prescription.

She weighs in a 59.8 Lbs, he gave her the higher dose for 60.1 to 120 lbs and said she'll still gain weight since she's only seven months.

This was her best visit yet. There was a very real difference in how she got along with the staff and other customers. She let everyone approach her, she walked up to other people for petting, and got along with most of the other dogs that were there.

There was a Pit Bull she didn't take too kindly to and I think the feeling was mutual. Low growls from both, but no barking or lunging and even the growls were not particularly loud and was only a couple of times.

They had already been seen and was checking out at the counter as Lisl and I sat down.

Was $102 reasonable for a six month prescription of the Trifexis? I don't mean to sound like a tightwad, because when it comes to Lisl money is no object, but I want my money buying more that a salesman's hot air even if he is a DVM.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
42 minutes after taking the Trifexis she threw up her meal. It says to re-dose if they throw up within an hour of administering, so while I was preparing the second dose, she re-ate her meal.

It looked pretty dry like the Trifexis caused her stomach to absorb all of the liquid and acid inside of her. I suppose the dog food could have absorbed it too.

I'll see if it stays down a second time.

Next time, I'm breaking this dose up into two halves. I knew I should have done that to begin with and could have avoided this.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Stark was on Trifexis for a couple of months, while he did not have any complications with it I recently learned that Trifexis does not protect against ticks. I switched out last month for Vectra 3D. Im not sure which meds are better than others, but if your pup is outside for any period of time I would recommend something with protection against ticks. I just assumed that Trifexis protected against ticks, then I started finding ticks on Stark so I asked just to be sure, and found out it doesn't. Maybe you don't want/need tick protection, but just an FYI incase, like me, you were unaware that it does not protect against ticks. And I hope she tolerates the next does better :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I LOATHE Trifexis. It's hideously expensive and getting it down Scarlett is a monthly stress-ex that I dread.

You should give the stuff with a meal if you can. It is very common for dogs to throw it up. I break it up, hide it in stuff and STILL have to pick it up off the floor and reattempt to give it to Scarlett.

I am hoping for a better, smaller, CHEAPER, effective alternative and SOON.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Stark was on Trifexis for a couple of months, while he did not have any complications with it I recently learned that Trifexis does not protect against ticks. I switched out last month for Vectra 3D. Im not sure which meds are better than others, but if your pup is outside for any period of time I would recommend something with protection against ticks. I just assumed that Trifexis protected against ticks, then I started finding ticks on Stark so I asked just to be sure, and found out it doesn't. Maybe you don't want/need tick protection, but just an FYI incase, like me, you were unaware that it does not protect against ticks. And I hope she tolerates the next does better :)
We have to use BOTH Trifexis AND Vectra here in SE VA. We don't get a hard enough freeze to kill ticks, so it's a year round treatment for us. Lucky us...:/

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is there an advantage to using both trifexis and Vectra? From the packaging it looks like Vectra protects against everything that trifexis does plus ticks... So our vet took him off trifexis and just switched to Vectra plus a heartworm pill.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We don't have a tick problem here. I can't even remember the last time I saw one around here.

Getting her to swallow it wasn't a problem, though I didn't realize how big these things were. She swallowed it after shoving it down her throat with my two fingers.

She had a full meal ten minutes before I gave it to her. She didn't fuss about it and I really thought she was going to keep at down after nearly 45 minutes.

After more than an hour now after re-injesting her meal and the Trifexis she has kept it down the second time. I did not redose her after I saw her re-eating her meal. She ate every bite of what came up so I called it good and we'll hope it doesn't happen again next month.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Keep an eye on her. That stuff has caused some nasty side effects. Check the stories online. I honestly wouldn't have given it to her again if she vomited right after.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wrote in my above post that I did not re-dose her.

She ate everything she threw up and that would have included the dose of Trifexis I gave her after she had eaten.

She has exhibited no other side effects so far after about 15 hours now. I'm still keeping a close eye on her.

·
Registered
890 Posts
We have to use BOTH Trifexis AND Vectra here in SE VA. We don't get a hard enough freeze to kill ticks, so it's a year round treatment for us. Lucky us...:/
We have a place in NE PA, which has the same tick problem as you. Joey's currently on Interceptor and Vectra 3D.

I run out of Interceptor this month. The vet is recommending Sentinel (HW and flea); she said can still use the Vectra 3D (flea and tick).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts