German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After work today I came home and let Lisl out of her crate to potty and play for a few minutes to stretch her legs and eat if she wanted to.

After about 20 minutes and changing clothes I ran errands and went grocery shopping and allowed Lisl free run of the house.

Shoes and boots out, signal cables running everywhere, bedroom door open, trash can out in the open in the kitchen and both baths

I was gone around 2 hours or so and came back to a spotless house. Nothing touched, no potty anywhere.

I think she sacked out in my bed because I could tell she'd been laying on it.

Anyway, GOOD GIRL LISL!!! :wub::halogsd::wub:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was gone for another hour or so this morning with her out of her crate and still she touched nothing.

I'm leaving her out when I go to work in just a bit. I'll be back to check on her at 1600. I'll see how it goes.

I really hope that I can start trusting her in the house unconditionally, meaning I don't have to live like a Monk having to put up or hide everything I own everytime I leave the house.

So far, so good...

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Congrats to you and her! It's the best feeling, especially when there is tempting stuff to get into! ;)

Hope today goes well!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Amazing. Fiona is the same way. 6 months of freedom now and no destruction. I think they just sleep until we come home. Makes the time pass faster. Feels good to give them a little freedom and they respect it, huh?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here I am for lunch and the house is just as I left it. I'm very proud of her.

Maybe I can forgo the crate permanently. We'll see.

This is a big step that I didn't think she was ready for but she has proven me wrong. I couldn't be happier to be wrong this time.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Good job Lisl! What a good girl she is.

Man how I wish I could do that with Berlin..but due to the kitties, I will always have to crate him.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes. If I had other animals she'd have to be crated too or they'd become a snack.

Well I'm off for another four hours of work. I'll see how it goes when I get back at 2115.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, she screwed up.

House was fine, nothing destroyed, and no potty anywhere.

But, for some strange reason she pulled the laces out of my athletic shoes. Both of them. The shoes themselves are fine. I guess I taught her well in that regard.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the socks I left laying on top of the shoes. She didn't bother them other than to move them out of the way before starting in on the laces.

I should have paid more attention to the laces. Still, laces are cheaper than new Adidas shoes.

And another positive note for her is that she didn't chew up the house slippers, shower shoes, or hiking boots that were right there with the Adidas, nor bother the laces.

I'm going to give her another chance tomorrow for 5 hours.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She just pulled them out and chewed them up.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Even if she is being good, there is some stuff that you might want to make sure she can't get to and hurt herself. There is no reason to temp her and set her up to fail. Still to this day, I make sure garbage is gone, socks are off the floor, etc. God forbid she eats a sock or gets into something in the garbage and she is alone. Other then that, good job!! It will be a while before I let my new one out, well he broke out and did fine, but I still don't trust him 100% and I fixed his crate so he can't get out.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She's been a good girl for five hours alone today. No shoelaces, trash, etc. I can tell she's been playing with her toys and I gave her a couple more rolled up pig ears to chew on.

We were out playing with the Jolly Ball and Kong for a few minutes then went for a short walk.

I'll be home in another five hours.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Home at 1905 tonight and the house was perfect. No shoe laces, audio cables, trash, or anything else she knows she's not supposed to get into.

I praised her like there was no tomorrow and we went outside to potty.

I've already noticed how much calmer she acts after we come back in from going potty. She probably gets a lot of excercise in this big house, especially climbing the stairs God only knows how many times in that many hours.

I also leave an upstairs window open in the bedroom that she can look out of and get some fresh air. She loves sitting at the window and watching the world. And the cats and the birds.

I'm very proud of her. I would not have expected this behavior for at least another three months, and closer to five months when she turns a year old.

She has a lot of toys to play with and we both play with all of them when I am home so she knows what's hers. We play outside before work and take walks too so I guess that is helping.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Way to go! Shasta is 3 and only just started getting some freedom out of her crate when we leave. I do gate off the kitchen and back part of the house though. She's still tempted by the trash can whether there's anything in it or not so block it off and she's pretty much temptation free. Shasta used to attack the shoelaces on my shoes but never touched the shoes so I know that one! When I leave her, it hasn't been more than an hour MAYBE two at a time and I make sure she's got a kong and various chew things since she is a chewer. She's not big on toys but something she can chew and shes thrilled. Girl loves her kongs.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was very hesitant to try and prove her at this age, but after escaping from her crate twice and behaving herself I figured it was time to try a few short times before leaving her to go to work.

After the shoelace incident yesterday, I wouldn't say she's proven just because she behaved all day today.

I have four more days to work before my vacation starts this coming Friday. They are relatively short days compared to the 10 and 11 hour days I usually work, so the time she is alone before and after lunch won't be as long.

If she can behave for the next week, I'll consider her on her way to being proven for house training. I'm not worried in the least about the potty part. She has that down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts