German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three of them at once actually.

The other day we're walking down the same sidewalk we've been using for months and here comes three English Bulldogs from a neighbors fenced yard to greet us.

We've never seen these dogs before and did not even know this neighbor had any sort of dogs.

They rush up to the fence and put Lisl on the defensive having never had that many dogs near her at once since she was a puppy in her own litter. They bark, but don't seem aggressive. More of a "who are you and what are you doing on our property?" sort of bark.

One is a male the other two are females and one looks like she's had a litter in the last six to eight months judging from her belly.

They follow us down the fence line until it gets to a low spot that I didn't know was there, and then the female pushes herself under the fence and gets out of the yard. Now we're really having fun.

The bulldog is yapping, Lisl is trying to get a sniff in, the bulldog is running around both of us, and the owner is nowhere in sight. The male hasn't pushed under the fence yet and the other female is sort of hanging back wondering what all of the commotion is about.

No one has been bitten yet so I don't think the dogs are aggressive, just apprehensive and curious. I kneel down and hold Lisl by the collar and try to get the bulldog to stop circling for a minute. I got her to stop and was able to pet her a bit and allowed Lisl to give her a few sniffs.

Owner still nowhere to be found. We start walking away and the bulldog follows us up the street as we turn the corner. I finally tell her to go home and she stops but doesn't turn around right away.

Later that afternoon I knock on the man's door to tell him his dogs can escape from his yard if they try hard enough. Two cars in the driveway and no one answers. Oh well.

I later learn this is the Fire Chief's house from a local police officer I know. He says he knows him and will try and contact him about his fence. His house is on a very busy main thoroughfare through town and I wouldn't want his dogs to get hit. A fast movin' Chevy will mess up your whole day.

Same scenario occurs the next day but the male gets under the fence. He's a bit more forceful and really doesn't want us there, but still no one gets bitten. I yell loudly at this burly little guy and he backs off long enough for Lisl and I to make a quick retreat around the corner and up the street. He follows us nearly to the next block, and 'Go home!' doesn't work with this male. He followed us until he thought there was no longer a threat. He never attacked, nor did I think he would.

The Chief still hasn't fixed his fence and now we walk on the other side of the street. They seem to be friendly dogs, but we don't need all the drama on a casual walk around the neighborhood.

I wouldn't even mind having one of these little guys, but their medical history is full of all sorts of things I don't want to have to potentially deal with. I think I'll probably get a Dachshund like I planned.

Sorry so long winded.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Sounds like Lisl did great with the bullies :)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm glad your dog did not react to the bulldogs, probably because you stayed calm.

As for the fire chief, it will quite a bummer for him to be a first responder to a dog vs. vehicle dispatch if he doesn't fence his dogs better.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
WD coulnd't believe his eyes and I think he even didn't trust his nose when he met his first Eng. Bulldog. It was a pup and he kept circling around it, investigating like, "If it smells like a dog it must be a dog...". The Bulldog pup was outgoing and showed normal pup behavior which made WD understand him better. I always wondered how they can understand other breeds, having only seen GSDs from birth until after adoption. Unfortunately he couldn't play with the pup as the pup would get out of breath....sigh.... hard to be a dog with a limited body capacity like that.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Lisl was as overwhelmed and surprised as I was. She took it in stride, and I know this breed is not normally aggressive so, like you said, I remained calm and tried to defuse the situation which seems to have worked.

We walked by about an hour ago on the other side of the street and the Chief still hasn't fixed his fence. I feel sorry for the dogs if one gets out and gets hit.

Lisl came away with at least one new doggie girlfriend. That makes three that she knows or has at least met.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Myah's "brother" is a 1yr old English bulldog, Rugby. Rugby is as happy/jolly as they can get. He too would try to Houdini his way to meet new friends.

As for medical, we've had both cherry eyes fixed and now need a little plastic surgery on his perfect Cinnabon tail that corkscrewed in too tight. He loves kids and he and Myah whoop it up like crazy, wrestling, playing tug and chase and then naps. I love them both!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Chief fixed his fence yesterday.

He had a ditch witch moving around earth in his far backyard yesterday and when Lisl and I walked by there was a large fresh pile of dirt at the low spot in his yard where the Bullies are pushing their way through.

He didn't have the dogs out yesterday with the earth moving equipment about.

I've always thought those were some of the cutest dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts