German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could it be? How concerned should I be? Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be going away naturally. Beowulf has been doing the head twitch/flap the last 2-3 days now, and you could tell it was due to something wrong with his ears. It rains here all of the time in Oregon and that doesn't stop us from getting exercise, so I've been assuming that he got rain in his ears, or maybe a gnat flew in or some other type of annoyance. I'm old school and will give the body a few days to fight it off before automatically going to the vet (unless, of course, it's some sort of emergency, which you can tell right away most of the time).

Anyways, after a few days, he's still twitching and scratching, so I looked in his ears and his left ear was coated with wax and some sort of liquid-like substance. His right ear had some wax, but no liquid. He was just to the vet not long ago and they checked him over, to include his ears. So, what could this be? How can I treat it? If I don't get some decent answers from all of you before the vet opens later this morning, I'm taking him in. If you can help to save me a vet bill, that would be super nice!

Please help! I'm going to clean his ears out myself with cotton balls, but not sure if that will help get rid of whatever is causing the liquid to secrete. The only ear problem I've ever heard of in a dog is ear mites. Hope he doesn't have them. My other 2 dogs have never had anything wrong with their ears, which is why I have no idea what this might be.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
He has an ear infection and needs to go to the vet for meds. Ear infections are VERY painful! Get him in ASAP...

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have a poodle that has a tendency to get his ears infected, so what I do (well, besides taking him to the vet) is use hydrogen peroxide. I tilt his head a bit, pour a capful of peroxide in the affected ear and count 30 seconds while keeping his head tilted, then I just let him shake it out. If necessary I do the same to the other ear.
And then follow with an ear cleaning liquid I got at the vet clinic to remove any debris and wax, with the aid of cotton balls.
This helps control ear infections and also allows better application of whatever ointment or drops the vet gives you.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I would get a swabbing done at the vet and get the proper meds...many times the causes of ear infections are allergies, so if it recur's you may want to look at what you are feeding and/or environment cause.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like we're taking him to the vet today. We have hydrogen peroxide. I'll use that. He doesn't seem to be in pain at all, but you can tell that there's some sort of botheration once an hour or so. How would he have gotten this ear infection? How can I prevent them in the future? I don't want to have to keep taking him to the vet, since that is never cheap! Haha. Should I try the peroxide and cotton ball cleaning and see if that fixes this? Or does he need the medicated ear drops too?

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
If you're taking him to the vet, don't do anything yet. They need to run a culture on the substance and the peroxide may compromise the results. Yeast and bacteria are treated differently. Though many times both are present.

·
Registered
798 Posts
What onyx'girl said.

My poodle began with ear infections due to food allergies, and when I switched to grainless kibble they disappeared, but he can get them too if the weather is very humid.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the vet said it was a yeast infection/hot spot. Beowulf got sent home with ear cleaner, ear ointment, and some capsule meds. He's going to be just fine in 1-2 weeks we hope. Thanks to everyone for stressing the urgency of taking him to the vet!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts