German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyones puppers as ever had Lip Fold Pyoderma?

I think that is what Electra has. On the right side of the lower lip it is very crusty looking and red. I don't know if she scraped it on something or if it is caused by something else.

I want to know if there is anything I can do to try and clear it up. Since we moved we are in the process of finding a new vet and checking them out before we make a decision on who we are going to get.

I will post a pic and show you what it looks like.

So if people can post their remedies to this issue.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
I know it well, or should I say knew it well.....
I posted several threads on here (cannot find) about that topic.
Gypsy kept getting dry, crusty, cracked and I'm sure very sore lips from drooling so much. Especially, when she plays with her frisbee.

I tried everything, went to the vet and what he gave me didn't work. Tried Desitin, vaseline, vitamin E all didn't work.
Then I tried something that my mom used on us as kids when we lived in Germany. It's called Penaten Cream and they don't make it in the U.S.A. It cleared it up completely in 2 days.
I found a German Store where you can buy it online.
It's only about $10 plus shipping, and it's your answer, BELIEVE ME, I know!
Apply on clean, dry lips, and a little goes a long way.
Also, if you dog drools alot, dry their mouth off with a rag during the day.

Here is a link:
http://parthenonfoods.com/penaten-creme-150ml-p-1766.html

Johnson and Johnson took over the company, but they only sell it in Germany (Europe)

P.S. It works wonders on ALL kinds of sores and rashes. For you and your dog. It's made from the oil of the wool of sheep.
Smells great though.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: GSD Lover III know it well, or should I say knew it well.....
I posted several threads on here (cannot find) about that topic.
Gypsy kept getting dry, crusty, cracked and I'm sure very sore lips from drooling so much. Especially, when she plays with her frisbee.

I tried everything, went to the vet and what he gave me didn't work. Tried Desitin, vaseline, vitamin E all didn't work.
Then I tried something that my mom used on us as kids when we lived in Germany. It's called Penaten Cream and they don't make it in the U.S.A. It cleared it up completely in 2 days.
I found a German Store where you can buy it online.
It's only about $10 plus shipping, and it's your answer, BELIEVE ME, I know!
Apply on clean, dry lips, and a little goes a long way.
Also, if you dog drools alot, dry their mouth off with a rag during the day.

Here is a link:
http://parthenonfoods.com/penaten-creme-150ml-p-1766.html

Johnson and Johnson took over the company, but they only sell it in Germany (Europe)

P.S. It works wonders on ALL kinds of sores and rashes. For you and your dog. It's made from the oil of the wool of sheep.
Smells great though.
They sell that cream here in Canada. We used that cream when our daughter had diaper rashes when she was a baby. We can go to the drug store and get some of it.

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowIs it a secondary skin infection? Can you post a picture? Do you want holistic options?
Yes I would like some holistic options. I will post a pick once my batteries are charged for the camera.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
That's great you can buy it there.
Yes, it is diaper rash cream, but it does a lot more than that.
It will clear it right up, I bet money on it!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I just bought a tin of this creme to have on hand. Luca gets this on his lips.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlThanks for the tip! I just bought a tin of this creme to have on hand. Luca gets this on his lips.
You won't be disappointed.
It is also good for cuts, scrapes and burns for you and your dog.
The tin they have pictured (if you got it from the store I had in the link), was their 100th Anniversary tin.
Those are gone now, so it will come in a different tin.
They have been around for over 100 years and it took Gypsy with her lip fold Pyoderma for me to finally get some.
My mother was thrilled when I gave her a couple of tins also.
Over the years, she has mentioned how much she missed not having any and I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to get some sooner.
She is 83 and we have been in the U.S.A. since 1960.
So, that's how long it's been since she had any.

Better late than never, huh?
It took my love for my dog to get it. Not that I don't love my mom.............

Okay, stepping down from my soapbox now.

Penaten Cream

Description: For over 100 years, Penaten Cream has been used for the treatment of diaper rash, sunburn, dermatitis and for the relief of itching due to eczema.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess it would be easier for people that live in the border towns with Canada and they can go over and come to any drug store or grocery store and pick a tin up.
I don't know why that the US doesn't carry it in their drug stores?

·
Registered
56 Posts
My GSD's lips looked very similar to the pictures shown in this thread. They got in this condition due to her scratching and cutting her lips due to itching caused by lip fold pyoderma that she contracted after playing in dirty lake water. It wasn't the pyoderma making it so awful, but the irritation from her scratching them and getting them inflammed/infected. The pyoderma was very stubborn and kept returning after each successive antibiotic regiment.

After the first antibiotic regiment and its return, she was misdiagnosed with pemphigus. She was put on high doses of prednisone ( to shut down her immune system which is exactly what you DONT want to do with pyoderma). Unfortunately and due to my stupid trust I allowed this treatment plan to occur. It nearly killed her.

I found a knowledgeable vet who was astounded at the wrong diagnosis. IF YOUR DOG RESPONDS TO ANTIBIOTICS, it is NOT pemphigus. Simple rule that anyone should know, but not my previous clueless vet.

My 8-year old German Shepherd has now been on a slowly decreasing regiment of Clavamox for almost a year now. Decreasing the dosage each month by around 25%. Any faster and the symptoms returns within 3-4 days. First the lips will look droopy and swollen, then itchy, she will scratch it and the lips get inflammed and red.

Good luck. Please respond if any questions. I will check back every few days.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Following up, my GSD's lip fold pyoderma has cleared up. What finally killed it was antibiotics (CLAVAMOX is best but most expensive/worth it!) and an external creme mentioned in this thread (thank you!) callen Penatene Creme. I ordered it from an internet site called Smallflower.

A couple of things I learned:

1) Lip Fold Pyoderma is not recognized by many vets (the ones that I saw in downtown Chicago...amazingly enough) and is often misdiagnosed as an immune system disease (pemphigus). They will be very quick to put them on "wonderful" prednisone (perhaps one of the most evil drugs out there). Don't fall for it and research heavily before you even consider it.

2) Run a full course of antibiotics, no shortcuts, strict regiment. I found Clavamox to be the best although expensive.

3) While the dog is sleeping on their side put a thin layer of penatene creme on their lower lip. The reason for the sleeping precondition is it is "less" likely they will lick it off. I was able to do one side a day usually. Patience and timing (sleepy dog) is the trick.

After a week of penatene creme treatment, her lips were better, and I was able to wean her completely from her antibiotics.

Good luck.

Here is Penatene creme link: Smallflower Penatene Creme

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
I'm glad it worked for you.

It has been a small miracle for Gypsy and that is without the antibiotics.
Penatene Creme kicks a**

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSD Lover II

I'm glad it worked for you.

It has been a small miracle for Gypsy and that is without the antibiotics.
Penatene Creme kicks a**
Agreed. Wish I had known about it prior to going thru the antibiotics regiments..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts