German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at new puppies, but having a difficult time truly understanding linebreeding. I know it's essentially a percentage of inbreeding, but I'm getting mixed views as to what is desirable linebreeding vs too much! I don't want a pup that has health issues, obviously, and want to make the most sensible decision that I can. If all factors are the same, good breeder, good dam and sire (hips good, etc). Is there really a good reason to be linebreeding 5 - 10% anymore? And if not linebred themselves, are puppies who have dams and sires who are significantly linebred better or worse?

For example, I have one puppy who has both dam and sire at 9 to 12% linebred, but in seperate lines so the puppy is not linebred. Is this correct?

I have also seen a puppy who is 5% line bred, 3-4 and 3%, 4, 5-5 . What does this mean?? And which puppy may be healthier so to speak? Are these acceptable figures or should I be seriously considering looking elsewhere? Thank you!

·
Registered
32,777 Posts
I don't think linebreeding is an indication of a healthier puppy. It's all about the specific genetics in the pairing.

My dogs
Faren vom Warkonhaus

Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

When you look at Faren's pedigree, you'll see a lot of line breeding on the Barenfang kennel and even though these dogs are 7 generations back, the daughter of the kennel owner sees a lot of characteristics in my puppy to her parents dogs. We can see a ton of similarity in her Karn grandson to our puppies who have Karn in generation 5. She's very heavily stamped on her mothers side where there is more linebreeding on the Barenfang dogs.

My boy carries more similarities to his mother's side in temperament where the line breeding goes back to Lord.

When dogs are line bred up close like a 2-3, the breeder is usually trying to bring certain traits like health, temperament, working ability and drives.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
I don't think linebreeding is an indication of a healthier puppy. It's all about the specific genetics in the pairing.

My dogs
Faren vom Warkonhaus

Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

When you look at Faren's pedigree, you'll see a lot of line breeding on the Barenfang kennel and even though these dogs are 7 generations back, the daughter of the kennel owner sees a lot of characteristics in my puppy to her parents dogs. We can see a ton of similarity in her Karn grandson to our puppies who have Karn in generation 5. She's very heavily stamped on her mothers side where there is more linebreeding on the Barenfang dogs.

My boy carries more similarities to his mother's side in temperament where the line breeding goes back to Lord.

When dogs are line bred up close like a 2-3, the breeder is usually trying to bring certain traits like health, temperament, working ability and drives.
Looking at Farens pedigree....she has Gambits grandsire Ernst 5 generations back!

Reactions: Jax08
1 - 3 of 3 Posts