German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures and diagrams of what correct structure and movement should look like.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
yay!

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Linda has been super to work with(we are in the US which makes shipping a bit more difficult) I was amazed at her prompt response and ease to work with. Can't wait to open my copy...very carefully!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'll be purchasing this (as soon as I have the money) to add it to my GSD book collection. Looks like it's worth the money!

·
Banned
100 Posts
Which 'standard' is the book referring to? AKC?

The pictures show lots of good dogs but a few of them have backs that are far too sloped.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Which 'standard' is the book referring to? AKC?

The pictures show lots of good dogs but a few of them have backs that are far too sloped.
It is only proper for an educational book to have illustrations of dogs that have faults, whether mild or extreme.

Here's a quote from the site:
It is absolutely the most detailed and accurate source of information available anywhere. I have put particular focus on the two issues that have most plagued the breed in America and Germany: excess rear angulation and the roach back. No one who studies the material in this book will be in any doubt about what is and isn’t normal structure and gait in a working dog.
And I do not know for certain as I do not have the book yet, but my guess would be the parent club standard. And I could be wrong but from what I've seen the standard itself has not changed much from registry to registry, its the interpretation of that standard that has.

·
Banned
100 Posts
It is only proper for an educational book to have illustrations of dogs that have faults, whether mild or extreme.

Here's a quote from the site:

And I do not know for certain as I do not have the book yet, but my guess would be the parent club standard. And I could be wrong but from what I've seen the standard itself has not changed much from registry to registry, its the interpretation of that standard that has.
:thumbup: cheers.

Certainly seems worth a read. Any idea on cost?

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
$45 US dollars plus shipping...this is direct from Linda packing them herself and sending them off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a copy of the book in my hands on Saturday. The book is produced with good quality, very well written, educative and with plenty of illustrations supporting the text.

Im going to buy mine asap! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really want to buy this book as a chirstmas gift to myself ! Do I email her to inquire about buying ?

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I really want to buy this book as a chirstmas gift to myself ! Do I email her to inquire about buying ?
Yes, she is very good about getting right back to you too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't believe it has taken me over three months to reply. I have been so busy taking book orders, packaging and shipping, I haven't had time to do anything else. I didn't anticipate that the book would become as popular as it has. It has gone to every region of the world except mainland China, Africa and Antarctica. Several people have asked, "which standard?" Fair question, but I approached it as an interpretation of Max's original intent. All official standards have been revised many times since, and always by show interests. I go into the anatomy required of a working dog in considerable detail, and I have benchmarked it to the anatomy of the gray wolf. The mechanics of movement are, or should be, the same. For the comment on the sloped backs, I included photographs of good dogs of every major bloodline. So inevitably, there will be dogs pictured that somebody doesn't like. But, they are still good dogs. One of the most sloped is a Czech dog with very reasonable angulation; he is just overstacked. Another dog does have a bit too much rear, but Carmen will remember Wiesental's Falco, three time Canadian Select. He was a powerhouse, and is the granddaddy of my Tim SchH3, so I wanted him included too. However there are no dogs included who were truly over angulated, or who show the current convex curvature of the spine of the modern VA dogs. I have illustrated in great detail why these defects are detrimental to a working dog.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
:thumbup: Linda!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Hey Linda - driving around today I passed by a road where memories flooded back to me , thinking about some of the "good old dogs".
Oh yes they were "American" show dogs . Time period would have been late 70's early 80's .
Passed the road where Chris Swan used to live. Remember her ?
There were some good dogs.
In another thread "where to begin studying pedigrees" I said that the participants in the breed, showing, are new and have never experienced or seen another type of GSD, so accept the norm , in whatever form , as being correct .
All one has to do is to go through the decades in the German Shepherd Reviews to witness the changes ,
see the kennels driving those changes.
I sure do remember Falco and the littermates. Robust dogs . I admired him then and I would not hesitate to have him NOW .
Your Corey , his son, same thing .
Tim, the Corey x Katiana son -- absolutely.
Temperament and workability .

here is Falco
Wiesental German Shepherd Dogs

1 - 20 of 36 Posts