German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so I noticed a couple days ago our girl was starting to limp a little bit. It wasn’t bad so I kept an eye on it. Checked her paws out gently squeezed and she didn’t flinch and I didn’t see anything wrong. So I let it go, but than noticed when she was standing and drinking water or whatever she would hold her right paw up and little and keep weight off of it. So I checked a few more time squeezed her paw all the way up to her shoulder and she still doesn’t seem to be bothered by that. I don’t see any splinters or anything. Do puppies get growing pains? Or does anyone have any ideas of something else it could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, so I noticed a couple days ago our girl was starting to limp a little bit. It wasn’t bad so I kept an eye on it. Checked her paws out gently squeezed and she didn’t flinch and I didn’t see anything wrong. So I let it go, but than noticed when she was standing and drinking water or whatever she would hold her right paw up and little and keep weight off of it. So I checked a few more time squeezed her paw all the way up to her shoulder and she still doesn’t seem to be bothered by that. I don’t see any splinters or anything. Do puppies get growing pains? Or does anyone have any ideas of something else it could be?

Thanks
I went through a very similar thing with my puppy a few weeks ago. Go to the vet and have X-rays done.... it might be nothing, or like my poor puppy it might be something. My pup is waiting to have surgery now for elbow dysplasia, the sooner it is treated the better the outcome. Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Puppies do get the occasional growing pains, not all, but some. If the limping is minor and there is no whining from pain or other signs of something more serious, it should be fine. If you notice any other odd behavior you could take her in to see your vet just to be safe. I would say some minor limping or paw lifting if fairly normal in growing pups so long as thats all you are seeing and she still walks/plays. Like @eddie1976E said, it could be pano but it doesnt sound severe enough from what you've described. When my pup was growing around that age he would limp occasionally and lift or favor one leg. I kept an eye on it and he was fine, grew up completely normal. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Squeezing the long bone for Pano is a common test. You have to do just right. I tried it when he started limping but I didn't see any sign, even subtle, until the vet hit the right spot and I could see a brief flinch. So we didn't need an x-ray. They often show only very subtle signs of pain that can be hardly noticeable. It can be just an eye squint or a brief muscle twitch. If in doubt, the only true test is an x-ray.
Griff went through one 2-week bout of Pano on just one front leg. I think it was around the 5th month. He is on 1500 mg of Vit. C, bovine colostrum and turmeric/black pepper a day (to prevent inflammation). It hasn't come back (knock on wood). I keep him very trim. He is 8 months old and intact.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Gentle activities. Depending on the dog's drive, some may overdo it, others can contain themselves. First you need a diagnoses by a vet though to make sure you do the right thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts