German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kilo is almost 6 months. We went for two walks in 1 day. Rather long, about 2-3 miles total. Next day he started walking different. Noticed his front paw is just a little scrapped. But now he is having trouble with his back leg. Limping and you can just tell something is off.

I want to know if it is common and normal for pups to be sore at 5months after a lot of exercise? Or if it’s something else.

He is still completely hisself. Wants to run and play and chase, but I’m making him relax until i notice progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want to add, that he is fine with running, jumping, climbing, etc. it’s just when he’s walking.

·
Registered
875 Posts
This seems like a standard reply-but I'd have a Vet check him to be sure but--an injured or cut paw is just that.... the rear leg limp however I'd guess could be Pano (Panosteitis)--can occur in these guys as their bones and joints grow and change...the more active the dog is-the better the chance it may develop and the owner see symptoms--it can also move around from limb to limb as they grow---many threads on this forum about Pano

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
If he is sore at the walk I wouldn't let him be trotting or running if I were you. The reason you don't see it when he's moving faster is because when they are excited and into whatever they are doing that over rides whatever pain they are feeling. It doesn't mean they are okay.

Sore paws can make dogs limp. I'd examine in between the paw pads too because I've seen a couple dogs limp whose pads were fine but had irritation, inflammation in the webbing of the foot. Usually needs some minor treatment to go away because they tend to lick which gets it warm and moist and then it gets really nasty. Try soaking his feet in epsom salt for starters until you get him to the vet.

If you want to be minimalist, soak the feet and keep him quiet for a few days and see what happens. If the feet are inflamed, injured, sore, then you need to keep him on surfaces that won't irritate it more- like don't let him on gravel. but do look inside the feet and be sure you don't have something nasty brewing in there.

My first choice would be to have him checked out by a vet to be sure he doesn't have a soft tissue injury in the hind end

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Lastly, you asked is it normal for a pup to limp after a lot of exercise? No, I don't think so. I would think that indicates way too much or wrong type of exercise, or that the dog hurt himself in the process. Should be an indicator to you that you need to be more careful how/where/for how long the pup exercises in the future

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As stated, we went on a walk. Therefore, i wouldn’t say it was the “wrong type of exercise”. Also regarding another comment, I am taking measures so that he is not running and relaxing and hopefully healing.

My main concern was if it is normal for dogs to become sore after exercise. I have read that it is, but i wanted more input.

With others replies, i do want to take him to the vet to make sure he is okay.
Lastly, you asked is it normal for a pup to limp after a lot of exercise? No, I don't think so. I would think that indicates way too much or wrong type of exercise, or that the dog hurt himself in the process. Should be an indicator to you that you need to be more careful how/where/for how long the pup exercises in the future

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that information, i will absolutely look into that.
This seems like a standard reply-but I'd have a Vet check him to be sure but--an injured or cut paw is just that.... the rear leg limp however I'd guess could be Pano (Panosteitis)--can occur in these guys as their bones and joints grow and change...the more active the dog is-the better the chance it may develop and the owner see symptoms--it can also move around from limb to limb as they grow---many threads on this forum about Pano

·
Registered
687 Posts
In my opinion, the only time it would be normal for a pup to be sore after exercise, is if he has done too much, or your dog has a physical problem. You might be overdoing it with your dog.

If you dog lies around in a crate all day during the week, then taking him for a long walk on the weekend might be too much for him. He might not be in shape enough for something like that. Like every creature, you need to slowly build up strength and stamina for those long excursions.

Also, limping at a walk shows a more severe injury or issue than limping at a trot. Lameness is most often identified at a trot, but if he's limping at a walk, that is usually a worse lameness.

I hope it's as simple as an injured pad, but there may be something else going on. I agree with others that you should consult with your vet to make sure your pup doesn't have some underlying problem.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Definitely have a vet check, and yes pano would be a possibility especially if it is transient and in varying legs.

That said I think a 1 to 2 miles walk COULD be a but too much for a 5.5 month old. Self limiting exercise is more the recommendation at this age. In other words if you are walking, he will continue to go with you even if it is beyond his current physical limits for his age. Personally I would keep it shorter for now.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Was your pup on leash or off leash? What was the terrain like? Were there other dogs on the walk? Were you throwing things for him to chase? Are long walks a normal part of life or was this more exercise than he is use to normally?

With a limping puppy I would definitely get him checked by a Vet. At this age joints are still open and damage done at this stage in development can carry over to adulthood if growth plates are damaged. I would be crate resting and only doing on leash potty walks. No running, jumping, ect... Higher drive dogs will ignore pain and still do things that hurt them. It is also instinctive for animals to hide pain because pain is weakness and makes the injured animal a target to predators and other pack members. So limping, but still want to run and jump doesn't mean a dog is okay or that an injury is not serious.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mostly leash, he was on grass, gravel if he chose to be, sand, water, pavement. We walked, but randomly ran in the water and played fetch. I definitely felt like the duration was much longer than he was used to.

I’m trying to get him to rest and keep calm, but he wants to run and play. Limiting him being outside and trying to get him to lay and relax.

I have examined the leg, applied pressure, rubbed, stretched, and he doesn’t whine, move or anything. Just let’s me check him out and doesn’t mind. That’s why i find it so odd.
Was your pup on leash or off leash? What was the terrain like? Were there other dogs on the walk? Were you throwing things for him to chase? Are long walks a normal part of life or was this more exercise than he is use to normally?

With a limping puppy I would definitely get him checked by a Vet. At this age joints are still open and damage done at this stage in development can carry over to adulthood if growth plates are damaged. I would be crate resting and only doing on leash potty walks. No running, jumping, ect... Higher drive dogs will ignore pain and still do things that hurt them. It is also instinctive for animals to hide pain because pain is weakness and makes the injured animal a target to predators and other pack members. So limping, but still want to run and jump doesn't mean a dog is okay or that an injury is not serious.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He doesn’t seem to be in pain. No noises, no complaints, not lacking an ability to do anything. I am able to rub his leg, apply pressure, move it around- and he doesn’t even nudge. That’s why I was considering it as him being sore. But i definitely plan to take him to our vet just so they can examine him more thoroughly.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mostly leash, he was on grass, gravel if he chose to be, sand, water, pavement. We walked, but randomly ran in the water and played fetch. I definitely felt like the duration was much longer than he was used to.

I’m trying to get him to rest and keep calm, but he wants to run and play. Limiting him being outside and trying to get him to lay and relax.

I have examined the leg, applied pressure, rubbed, stretched, and he doesn’t whine, move or anything. Just let’s me check him out and doesn’t mind. That’s why i find it so odd.

Higher drive dogs don't always known to stop when they are tired. Especially if they are leashed they will try to keep up with the pace you set vs. choosing their own pace and terrain.

GSD's tend to be rather stoic and will often not show pain unless it is really bad. My first GSD did something once and was obviously limping and hold a front leg off the ground. My Vet examined him and he gave zero pain response even though something was obviously wrong.

Hopefully he just overdid, but I would still get him checked by a Vet.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
What type of surface do you walk him on? I would avoid manmade if possible. That will take a toll on joints and cause soreness.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That sure doesn't seem like a super long walk at that age. It is just a walk. Not jogging or running. I was doing 3 mile walks with Shasta at that age no problem.

She had a sudden limp like that, but as it turns out, it was just a crash into the other dog when I wasn't there. A few days later with much shorter daily walks, she was back to new.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
In my opinion, the only time it would be normal for a pup to be sore after exercise, is if he has done too much, or your dog has a physical problem. You might be overdoing it with your dog.

If you dog lies around in a crate all day during the week, then taking him for a long walk on the weekend might be too much for him. He might not be in shape enough for something like that. Like every creature, you need to slowly build up strength and stamina for those long excursions.

Also, limping at a walk shows a more severe injury or issue than limping at a trot. Lameness is most often identified at a trot, but if he's limping at a walk, that is usually a worse lameness.

I hope it's as simple as an injured pad, but there may be something else going on. I agree with others that you should consult with your vet to make sure your pup doesn't have some underlying problem.
I agree limping at walk is usually indicator of a worse thing EXCEPT I have seen some pretty sore limpy dogs who just had inflamed paw webbing. Right treatment and healing and they were good as new in 48 hrs. Minor thing.

When it's the paws vs legs, you can often tell by walking the dog on different surfaces. If they walk fine on smooth surfaces but limp badly on gravel or other rocky surfaces, it's usually the paws.

Lastly, we just don't know how to palpate and manipulate like vets do. So don't assume that your trying to test your dog for pain is sufficient. Let the vet do it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Years ago, my at the time 6 month old was doing the same. Limping after fast walks and throwing balls with the Chuckit. Took him to the vet and they took radiographs and said his elbows needed surgery! I called the breeder to see if there's any problems at all with other pups in the litter and she said NO. So I got the radiographs from the vet and had them sent to OFA (which he didn't want to do). After a cpl weeks they came back negative for any deformity. I explained the situation to a 90 year old cowboy vet in Steamboat Springs, Co. He sat me down and explained to me that big boned animals have plates(bone sections) in their legs and they grow at different stages in dogs and colts, even though one plate may be next to the other. He just said take it easy, don't over do it and he'll be ok. Turned out to be true. I've seen this in horses but didn't realize dogs could get these as well. I took it easy on him first cpl of years.

I was probably over doing it with my GSD, but Jäger just loved to run and chase that ball when he was younger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts