German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This dog is killing me, poor guy. Two weeks ago he took a dump ans was limping on the back paw, found nothing wrong with him, other then some swelling. A couple of months ago I took him in for limping on his left front, growing pains is what I was told.

Now he is limping on his left front again, I dont know if I go and spend the 200 again for all of the x rays to see if it is nothing again, I assume it is growing pains again, but I dont want to be wrong, but ****, 600 in 3 months, and finding nothing is..its just not a good time to be throwing money out the door. But I never want anything to wrong with the pup, and I miss it..

These growing pains, i forget the name, how could I know? Pup wont tell me, heck, he hasnt even slowed down. I have him now kenneled more then anything, so he can get the rest, and thats breaking my heart.. **** dogs..

·
Registered
13 Posts
It could be a pulled muscle or just like you said, growing pain. My 2 year old was limping on and off till couple months ago. And he still growing.
Make sure you check him out really good. Make sure he does not show any sign of pain when you are touching his whole leg. I would give that leg a good massage everyday. And make sure no running or jumping around. Take it easy for about a week or two and he should be fine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be a pulled muscle or just like you said, growing pain. My 2 year old was limping on and off till couple months ago. And he still growing.
Make sure you check him out really good. Make sure he does not show any sign of pain when you are touching his whole leg. I would give that leg a good massage everyday. And make sure no running or jumping around. Take it easy for about a week or two and he should be fine.

Thank you for your response, the running and jumping is goign to be the hard part, he is the youngest of three, My son 7, My other son 3, my pup, almost 11 months..thats why Hunter is kenneled so much right now, or tethered.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the magic word.. thank you Renee.

Wow, Jake looks good in that Profile picture!!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
He's a MESS right now....touch of demodex or something around his eye but thanks!

Do a search for Pano with our search tool....a lot of information will come up. Jake has had a few mild bouts. I didn't x-ray, most of the time you won't be able to see it on film so to me it is a total waste of money. I knew he wasn't injured so by logical reasoning it was a bit of Pano. They say it comes and goes. Jake's lasted about 2.5 weeks, went away and then he limped again.... They say Vit C helps the duration.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you want to get a second opinion by a vet, we use Animal Hospital of Sterling Heights (18 mile and Van Dyke). They are apart of the Wilson Veterninary clinics (Washington Township). They have the best prices (very, very resonable) and Dr. Wilson specializes in orthopedics. Wish you the best.

·
Registered
330 Posts
:( I'm sorry that he's not feeling to hot. Hopefully you can figure it out. Such a good mommy, taking care of the pup!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Do you give Hunter vitamin C? It will help to shorten the Pano bout because it is a natural anti-inflammatory. Start at 500mg human grade and work up over a week or two to 2000mg(split between meals) a day. The C can be given daily, I give 1000mg for maintenance dose.
Other than making sure the diet is good and letting the dog self limit exercise you just have to let it run its course...I wouldn't spend $ at the vet, there is little they can do other than prescribe pain/anti inflammatory meds.

It isn't too early to get preliminary x-rays done...there is a vet in Marshall that exclusively does this and charges less than $150. He is expert in the field and will read them, so no need to send them in for analysis. If you are going to do any type of sport work with Hunter, it would be worth that to be sure nothing looks off on the hips and elbows.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
With in reason he can play...I wouldn't encourage it, but wouldn't over crate him either. He needs to maintain his muscle tone. Two of my dogs had Pano, and I just let them self limit.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Self limit. Sounds like Pano... like Renne said. Otto has bad it off and on too. I suggest that you research it and make sure you take him to the vet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, we are walking straight again.. lets see what the pup does to himeself next..it will be nice get him out walking again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts