German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gsd will be a year old next month, and the last couple months he has had this limp that comes and goes. It was his front right that was bothering him at first, so we bought him a new kennel and a big squishy bed. And it went away. Now it's his back right. I've walked him around and played with him. He seems to run on it okay, but when he stands, he holds it up like it hurts. When I try to look at it he doesn't act like it hurts. The vet can't find anything wrong either. I'm stumped. It makes me wonder if he's faking it. Although I'm not sure if he's capable of that. lol

Could a joint supplement help?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Jonas was doing that a while ago, same thing I took him to the vet and nothing. I gave him about 3-5 days of minimal playing and he has been good ever since. Vet thinks he might have strained something chasing his remote control car around. Maybe give him a few days and nights rest.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
This happened on rear leg on our dog, turned out to be a torn ligament. Our regular vet could not find anything, the ortho vet found swelling right away. Sounds like your plan to crate and a big comfy bed is good. You could try a couple weeks of exercise restriction, if the limp returns see the ortho vet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My gsd will be a year old next month, and the last couple months he has had this limp that comes and goes. It was his front right that was bothering him at first, so we bought him a new kennel and a big squishy bed. And it went away. Now it's his back right. I've walked him around and played with him. He seems to run on it okay, but when he stands, he holds it up like it hurts. When I try to look at it he doesn't act like it hurts. The vet can't find anything wrong either. I'm stumped. It makes me wonder if he's faking it. Although I'm not sure if he's capable of that. lol

Could a joint supplement help?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
One of the hallmarks of Lyme is a limp that does what you describe.

I've had two dogs with it. One, a shep/chow mix, never had anything worse than a few days of limping that resolved on its own. The other, litter mate to the 1st, had sever limping and 105 fevers. She had to go on daily low dose doxy for two years before the infection cleared.

My dogs are all vaccinated for lyme now. Used to be said that there was no lyme in Florida - not true at all.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If he continues to limp I would get xrays done. My dog limped and after xrays it turned out he has hip dysplasia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts