German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone else does when it comes to their pets exercise and illness.

Stark was VERY sick the other night, I was really worried about him but it seemed to only last 24hours or so. He had loose stool (water poop), restless, panting and wanting to go out every 1-1.5hours (very unusual) and just looked and acted sick.

I limited his exercise to just a walk around our apartment building. I let him go at his own pace, let him stop and sniff, then continued on our way. It usually takes us about 5-8 minutes, but the other day it took 15-20 minutes. I didn't want him to over do it.

Today he is READY TO GO, I can tell he is feeling better and ready for some major exercise and a good run, but I am still limiting his play and exercise.

I didn't bring him to the park today, just incase what he has can be passed to other dogs (like a virus or something) and I didn't want him running and jumping and wrestling too much.

The vet said he is fine and he does seem fine now, but I am still leery to let him go back to his normal play/exercise. He ate a pigs head (I feed RAW) and I think it was either too much or the tissue/brains just didn't agree with him. I still have him on a bland diet for another day or two so I will see how he is then.

Anyone else limit exercise when their dog shows signs of being ill?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Jerzey's never been sick like that but when she sprained her ankle I had to cut out essentially everything. It was awful, for all of us. She was so antsy to go and play!

I think what you did sounds good to me. If Stark is up for more exercise than give it to him, he knows how he feels. I think you made the right call with limiting it yesterday but we all know that our GSDs can only go so long without some real play time.

Oh, one last thing: I wanted to just say that it was very thoughtful of you to nix the park in case Stark has something that he could pass to other dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts