German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your response. And yeah the vet mentioned that in shepherds and labs it is sometimes seen under a year of age. I think his is likely a Uveal melanoma and not limbal, we will find out more when we go back to the ophthalmologist in March. We will likely be trying laser therapy first to shrink the mass, and if that doesn't work we may progress to an iridectomy. I asked her about the ONCEPT vaccine and she said it would not be used in a case like this since the chances of it being malignant to the rest of the body are super low. Do you remember what made them more concerned in your dogs case about it spreading? From everything I have heard even if left untreated in the eye it is still super unlikely to spread anywhere else.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My recollection was that they estimated around a 20% chance of recurrence with his particular form of melanoma -- and with recurrence the risk of spread gets worse. Chest xrays were recommended regularly to make sure it doesn't show up in the chest cavity (first every three months, now every six). Cancer does what it wants to do, so we opted to be very sure he could mop up any recurrence, since clean margins are impossible inside the eye. Even with a low risk of spread, that means in some dogs it will spread (as low is not equal to zero)--and I don't want my dog to be one of them.

The oncologist told me we could go either way on the Oncept -- she and the ophtho felt like it would be optimal to do it, but also it would also be an acceptable choice if we didn't want to. I had good pet insurance, so "optimal" is what we chose.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts