Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted a little feedback on what I am feeding my 13 week old female pup:

She gets fed 3 x's per day.

Morning:
1 cup Natural Balance Venison & Sweet Potatoe Kibble
chicken liver ~ 1.5 oz
Chicken (rotate between parts of chicken quarter or wing) ~5 oz.
1 capusule Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil

Afternoon:
1 cup NB Kibble
1/3 can of NB wet food OR 1 Eggland's Best egg
1 T low-fat all natural plain yogurt every other day

Night:
1 cup NB kibble
Ground beef or ground turkey ~ 5 oz.
Glucosamine/Chondrotin supplement

Any thoughts? Too much? Too little? Just plain wrong diet?

She eats every bite of her meals except sometimes she leaves some of the afternoon meal if I feed too early.

I saw turkey necks at my groccery store the other day that I want to try with her next.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
That sounds like a great diet to me! I would say if she is eating every bit of her meals then she is getting just the right amount.

I too feed the NB Venison and Sweet Potato. Mine Love this kibble - How does she like it? (I know a little off subject here, but not many feed this food, so just curious what she thinks about it.)

What Glucosamine/Chondrotin supplement are you using? I need to get mine started on this and feel a bit overwhelmed with all the choices out there.

·
Registered
815 Posts
That looks pretty good! How is she handling the liver? I know some dogs can't have it too often or they get loose stool. I give mine yogurt daily, and a raw egg only occasionally as they aren't too fond of them.

She will LOVE you for the turkey necks!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Everything looks good. Amounts will vary greatly from dog to dog, so just go by appearance (which will change almost daily for a while at this age). If you can feel her ribs but cannot see them easily you're good. You are feeding what I would call a quality kibble, but I wonder why you don't just go 100% raw since you are obviously not afraid to feed and prepare raw or suppliment as well. Either way you want to look into adding vitamin E unless the NB has it. It helps get all the good stuff from the salmon oil.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She looks pretty good to me. I can feel her ribs when I run my hands down her sides, but cannot see them through her fur.

I think at some point I will go 100% raw. Just didn't feel comfortable enought with my knowledge about a full raw diet from the get-go. That and with an upcoming honeymoon - I wanted to keep her on some kibble because her baby-sitters for the week are not taking nicely to the idea of feeding raw meats (and all the 'dangers' that come with
).

I will definately look into the Vit E -- someone else mentioned it to me the other day too. Are capsules from my health food store adequate?

Thank you for all who have responded. Puts my mind at ease!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: GSDgirlAL NB Venison and Sweet Potato. Mine Love this kibble - How does she like it? (I know a little off subject here, but not many feed this food, so just curious what she thinks about it.)

What Glucosamine/Chondrotin supplement are you using? I need to get mine started on this and feel a bit overwhelmed with all the choices out there.
Almost forgot about this.

She seems to like the kibble well enough...but I think it pales in comparison to the raw meats! She usually eats whatever meat I have in her bowl first and then all of the kibble. She eats more of the kibble if I take the time to first hand feed her some. She has never turned it down so I think it's a winner here

The Glu-Cho I use is from a natural foods store in the area. I searched for something to use but most came in tablet form and I wasn't sure how to get her to take it. At the local store i found a liquid form and took it to my vet to look at. I've been researching the NuPro joint supplement though too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts