German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lily gets spayed on Monday, just a few days shy of 6 month birthday! I of course am a nervous wreck. I was nervous when they wanted to keep her hospitalized for meds when she was sick...but leaving her all day for a surgery?! Yikes...

So anything I should do to prepare? Any tips for recovery?

Doc said no food after midnight and pick up water in the morning. Drop off is from 8-9 AM and they'll call after the surgery.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I totally get it. When Lucy swallowed the sock and needed surgery I sprung for a bottle of Pinot Noir that normally was outside my price range. I highly recommend that strategy.
I know her recovery at 11 weeks was nothing short of phenominal. I know Lily's will be as well. Let us know when she's home.
There's no such thing as "minor" surgery when it's you, your kids, or your fur kids, is there?

·
Registered
373 Posts
When my Ruby was spayed at 11 months I remember that the vet didn't want her stretching the incision area. So that meant no jumping or hard running. We kept her crated for several hours throughout the day for the following week with walks every 2-3 hours. I also recall that my husband gave her a half a tranquilizer pill for a couple of days to keep her calm and there were antibiotics if I remember correctly.

Finally after a week and a half we got the green light to let her run! She was a happy girl.

When she was healing my MIL felt sorry for her and started giving her table scraps. Ruined that dog I tell you! Now she won't eat her kibble unless there's a couple of spoonfuls of canned food mixed in.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: LucinaI totally get it. When Lucy swallowed the sock and needed surgery I sprung for a bottle of Pinot Noir that normally was outside my price range. I highly recommend that strategy.
See, now that's the kind of advice that I will follow for sure! LOL

Yup, definately nervous.

And keeping her quiet for a few days is definitely going to be tough. I bet the surgery will mean no swimming for a while too...but don't tell Lily that yet or she won't go. She's a swimming fein!

I will be updating for sure when she has the surgery!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
buy her toys that will keep her occupied while she is in the crate.
have you arranged all the pre surgery tests? bleeding time, etc. putting a cut off t shirt on her will also keep her away from the incisions. NO SWIMMING, give her loads of love and kisses, she will be upset of course and unsure as to what has happened. you will both do well, we all worry ourselves sick all the time over our fur babies. good luck!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
i meant to tell you not to be surprised if they want to keep in over night or longer, depending on how the surgery went. most vets keep them in over night even when all goes well. and i dont want to sound like a broken record on this but have her checked for a bleeding disorder called vWD (von wildebrands disease) no matter how careful a breeder may be, it can slip through and them be unaware of it, if their own vets have not checked their sires and dams for it.
i would rather sound like a broken record than have a gsd go through what bearla did. we almost lost her to it, and at the time i was mad as heck at our breeder because i felt that they should have known or said something, but the more time i spend researching it, the more i find out that its up too us the forever parent to worry about it more than the breeder. we are the ones that should be checking for it each time they have to have surgery and with any subsequent dog, have it tested as soon as it receives its first puppy check, that way you can ensure that a healthy dog in your family can donate blood and store it incase it is needed at some point down the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts