German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so my friend has a little yorkie she brought over last night for Memphis to play with. Memphis is 9 weeks 6 days old and he started trying to dominate this small dog. It made me a little nervous and I would just push his arms off the dog but sometimes he would open his mouth up and have like half of this poor yorkies back in his mouth. He even mounted him twice.

How should I prevent this and is this normal for his age? Will he grow out of this or should i expect him to be dominant towards small dogs and that have to be something I correct each time?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My 11 month old GSD plays with my mini doxie by putting as much of her in his mouth as he can. It sounds horrible, but she sometimes even initiates the play. He is just a rough boy, and doesn't mean to be ugly with her. I never let them alone, because of the size difference, but he has never bullied her. In fact, if he is eating, she can walk over and push him off his food! And then I have to get involved.

My male went through a mounting stage till he was around 7 months old. When he started he mounted everything (including hubby). We would correct him with "No!" and redirect him to something else. At 11 months, he no longer mounts anything.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so this is not something I should be worried with then? I agree with u I won't let them alone everytime they are around each other I'll be right there all the time I just didn't know if this is a form of early aggression that I should prohibit!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Because of the obvious size difference he could hurt the smaller dog. So it would be up to you to monitor the two at play. Shepherds love to play rough!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts