German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe about two years ago, Crystal's vet told us to get this kinda food for her that fills her up, but doesn't put on the weight if she gets fed too much. (Purina Fit & Trim). Anyway, Crystal doesn't usually overeat, but when she's hungry, she gets really wild. She prances around and starts grabbing toys, shoes, etc. and just acts all playful until you feed her. When you do (when she's hungry like this) she can just eat and eat forever. We don't give her more than 2 1/2 - 3 bowls, but I'm sure she can eat 4 1/2 to 5 when she's like this. And even if she's eaten alot like that, she'll still be begging for table food. She's VERY WELL FED, but is very food-oriented haha. By the way she acts toward our food, you'd think she's a starved dog! haha

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
2 1/2 - 3 BOWLS !!! How big is the bowl?
My dog is on self-feeding. Food is always there so it's no big deal to her.
She eats when she feels like it and seldom finishes more than 2 cups at
any one time. Of course, all dogs are different.
Some people won't try self feeding because they fear their dog would
stuff itself. That may happen at the start but once they see the dish
is always full (IMHO) they will settle down.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 1/2 - 3 BOWLS !!! How big is the bowl?
My dog is on self-feeding. Food is always there so it's no big deal to her.
She eats when she feels like it and seldom finishes more than 2 cups at
any one time. Of course, all dogs are different.

Hahaha well not filled to the top of the bowl. We have a scoop that we use. One scoop is a bowl (fills up about half since the bowl is pretty big).

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Hahaha well not filled to the top of the bowl. We have a scoop that we use. One scoop is a bowl (fills up about half since the bowl is pretty big).
Just my (continued) opinion. Purina of any type is low quality food. And it may taste great (like McDonald's, etc) but that doesn't mean it is good for her. Have you tried one of the more expensive grain-free foods? They cost a lot more by the bag but the dog eats a lot less because he/she is satisfied and has received more nutrients per gobble.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
HaHa!! Again like my Chiefy was! He used to slam his food bowl every day at 5 pm on the dot, until we fed him! One time, he didn't slam his bowl, and I went to get it, and found the reason why. He had got a 5 lb bag of peanut butter flavored bones that I just bought and ate the entire bag! One of the kids put it away and put it low enough for him to reach it. Wolfie, on the other hand, is very patient and eats whenever I give tell him it's time to eat.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Another thought... How many times a day is Crystal fed? I feed Wolfie twice a day, and that seems to curb his hunger so that he isn't ravenous at meal time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just my (continued) opinion. Purina of any type is low quality food. And it may taste great (like McDonald's, etc) but that doesn't mean it is good for her. Have you tried one of the more expensive grain-free foods? They cost a lot more by the bag but the dog eats a lot less because he/she is satisfied and has received more nutrients per gobble.
We've tried a couple different foods, but most kept putting on some weight. Crystal's vet recommended Purina Fit & Trim.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thought... How many times a day is Crystal fed? I feed Wolfie twice a day, and that seems to curb his hunger so that he isn't ravenous at meal time.
Crystal's usually fed twice a day. Sometimes three times. At night is when she might get wild and hungry, that's when she gets a second scoop, MAYBE a third.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
the higher quality the food the less you have to feed. 3 1/2 cups sounds like is way too much IMO
I feed dodge 1/2-1 cup in the morning and a 1-1 1/2 at night. dependin on what we did that day some times it's more sometimes it's less

·
Registered
316 Posts
Abby is the original bottomless pit. She is on the prowl for whatever
edibles she can find or beg whenever she is awake. When sleeping
Im sure she dreams of overflowing bowls of kibble.

I feed her 3 times daily a total of 4 cups a day. At meal times she
attacks her food bowl. I swear one of these days she is going to
eat the bowl too.

Plus she gets treats and biscuits. However many she can con me out
of. She is very good at the starving puppy act. Thats the "its been a
whole hour since I ate last and cant possibly go on" look.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the higher quality the food the less you have to feed. 3 1/2 cups sounds like is way too much IMO
I feed dodge 1/2-1 cup in the morning and a 1-1 1/2 at night. dependin on what we did that day some times it's more sometimes it's less
True, but it hasn't been too much of a problem. We get the HUGE bags of it, so it's a pretty good deal. Plus we get it at Wal-Mart, so it's even cheaper. And she only eats that much, when she gets hyper like that, it's not too often.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Abby is the original bottomless pit. She is on the prowl for whatever
edibles she can find or beg whenever she is awake. When sleeping
Im sure she dreams of overflowing bowls of kibble.

I feed her 3 times daily a total of 4 cups a day. At meal times she
attacks her food bowl. I swear one of these days she is going to
eat the bowl too.

Plus she gets treats and biscuits. However many she can con me out
of. She is very good at the starving puppy act. Thats the "its been a
whole hour since I ate last and cant possibly go on" look.

hahaha that sounds JUST like Crystal. I'm sitting here eating peanut butter crackers and she got up as soon as she heard me open it. She's standing on the step right next me to staring at the food waiting for me to drop some.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Chrono is a monster for food. He is never satiated, and unfortunately he puts on weight so easily that I can't give him very much food. I tried to do the thing where his food bowl is always full so it would reduce his hunger a couple weeks ago, but I had to stop prematurely because he was eating a ridiculous amount. By the evening he had already eaten 20 cups of dog food and I was almost out of food. And then he was still bothering me for my food!

Chrono is on Orijen 6 fresh fish, and maybe you don't need to feed as much with higher quality kibble, but I don't think the dogs know that!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Some dogs just over eat and all you can do is learn to say "enough" no matter how much they beg, complain etc.

Try adding salt free green beans to her food, they'll add bulk to her diet and will make her feel fuller. Calories are minimal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We are new puppy parents, and our vet suggested we give our puppy Purina. So when we were at Petsmart, we asked the lady there and she advised against it. She seemed to know what she was talking about, so now we are giving our Zoe the brand Blue Buffalo.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some dogs just over eat and all you can do is learn to say "enough" no matter how much they beg, complain etc.

Try adding salt free green beans to her food, they'll add bulk to her diet and will make her feel fuller. Calories are minimal.

You're right about the learning to say enough part.

And yea to the green beans, but my dog would spit them out haha. We've tried stuff like that before. She's very fussy when it comes to healthy foods (her vet suggested carrots too) and she spits them out. If you have pizza or chips, she'll be your best friend sitting right next to you waiting for you to drop something haha.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts