German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Buddy, my girl Piper's sire. I have a few pics of him to show you what i mean. Is the discolouration a genetic trait from a parent? I know this guy is turning 3 in the spring. I have a pic of him at 6 weeks and a few of him from this winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
my little girl has that stripe as well, it's my favorite part of her nose :) also curious about it, both her parents have it too though

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
look up snow nose

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Omg disregard my comment im over here talking about her brown fur stripe not actual nose. God sorry I was tired lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
Snow nose. My vet also said sometimes it could be because you feed or water your dog out of a plastic bowl, to use a stainless. Mine done the same thing and thats what he told me.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys..I looked and I guess it is just snow nose. I haven't a clue the type of food or water dishes they use for him. But being outside 24/7 will make snow nose dog lol

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Yeah looks like a snownose. I have a mix that has it all the time, though it is most prominent in the winter. He drinks and eats out of stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Probably Snow Nose.
2 of mine have it currently too.

Theirs is because of the weather. They eat and drink from stainless steel and have no toys that would do this to them. It's not painful or anything. So I'm just waiting for the weather to change back to normal. Once the weather is warm again, their noses are back to pitch black.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so if Piper's sire gets it during the colder months is it possible as Piper gets older to get it as well? I feed her out of stainless steel as well

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Probably Snow Nose.
2 of mine have it currently too.

Theirs is because of the weather. They eat and drink from stainless steel and have no toys that would do this to them. It's not painful or anything. So I'm just waiting for the weather to change back to normal. Once the weather is warm again, their noses are back to pitch black.
Huh? :confused:
It's always warm here!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
There's no definitive answer but it also has to do with shortened days, not just colder temps in winter.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Huh? :confused:
It's always warm here!
For you. My dogs were all born in FL. So for them 40-50* and below is a bit cold. That's what they are adjusted to. It's also been super windy.

Almost ever winter after some 50* and lower days... especially windy and rainy days... my dogs develop slight snow nose. Never severe, and not always all of them... but we still get it here. All of them have been to the vets on a regular basis, and he's made sure nothing else was linked to the discoloration... and their bowls are stainless steel, toy are nothing they rub their noses all over (no jolly balls, or the plastic large ball things that they push around). Luckily for us, it's never scabby or dry, just a little discolored and it goes away fast. Already seeing more black coming back in. :)

Zira's nose today

Duke's nose today

1 - 20 of 20 Posts