German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So,

this weekend we got a new collar/name tag for our 20 month old rott/gsd mix.
(We lost the old one somehow...)

We are going out of town and having someone watch her so we wanted to make sure she had a name tag...anyway.......

we made the mistake of buying her this

the problem is now she chases the light reflection it creates...I've had to take it off of her.

So the question is...

Should I just call it a bad purchase and get something else that isn't so reflective or do you guys think I can train the behavior out of her?

I'm scared she'll develop OCD about it

thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm..okay

I was thinking that's easier anyway..it would be nice to train it out if I could for other reflections though.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The moving dancing light that appears and disappears and that they can never catch does something to a dog's brain, and they can very quickly become OCD light and shadow chasers to the exclusion of anything else interesting them. This often happens when people use laser pointers to play with their dogs - some become so obsessed with moving points of lights that they go through windows to chase the headlights of passing cars!

So yes, better to replace the tag. Much easier than trying to manage OCD behaviour that may develop down the line!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright I'll see about running to the store tonight...to bad they probably wont return an engraved tag..not that it's their fault I guess (some dogs don't care?)

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Is there any way you can spray paint it? I know the paint may wear off, but at least it won't be so shiny...that or use a steel wool pad to rub off the shine.

·
Banned
377 Posts
The store should have warned you about it.
Sometimes we simply make bad purchases and have to eat our mistakes.
Such is life.
Glad you caught it early.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't get a chance to go to the store...

I Was thinking of spray painting it matt black ...wonder how readable the engraving would be

maybe I'll do that

in any case thanks for all the input

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just thought I would give an update since the store was so nice.

I went back to petco which I usually only go to get cat litter.

I explained the situation and they allowed me to exchange it for another tag..no hassle what so ever.

sadly I had to downgrade to a one sided tag since all the double sided ones were either too small or reflective but all is good now.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just a comment. I am so happy that this forum made me aware fo this problem. I got a new watch and everytime I work in the kitchen in the evening as the sun is getting lower the light catches the watch face and bounces off all the surfaces. Ranger started to chase the light but because of this board I was quickly able to identify the problem and make sure I took my watch off. Thanks guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts