German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Light puppy will color darken?

He does look like him. Now I have another question. I spoke to the woman in the couple that sold my DH the pup and she says that she was sure that the male GSD was the father, but she says that mistakes are possible and that she is willing to refund our money and keep the pup, or refund money and we keep him.
I am really at a loss as far as what to do. We have had him for three days and so the attachment has grown and like I said he is a good boy. What I wanted to do was agility with our new pup, possibly even that registration with AKC to compete for dogs not eligable for AKC registration. So I'm not sure what to do. My mind says to return him and keep looking for a good solid GSD pup, but I am attached to the little guy.
Any input?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Plus it's not his fault.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts

no it's not his fault,,,can I ask what you paid for him?

If you really love him, I would most likely ask for atleast 1/2 my money back, you can still do agility with him,,akc is supposedly going to be opening up agility for mixed breeds so there ya go!

He is a cutie,

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Hmm, I think I will do that. We paid $200 for him. Oh and I called the place that I wanted to go to practice and they agree, that it looks like more opportunities will be opening up for mix breeds. We have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to start getting him-and me- familiar with stuff. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
501 Posts

When Freykja was about 3 months old she looked exactly like a Belgian Malinois...golden with a black nose. Her dad was dark and mom was a grey sable...they were afraid that I wouldn't want her because of her coloring...by the time she hit 4 months her grey sable self came out and she is dark...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Interesting, well either way he is a great little guy and I can't wait to get started. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, I was thinking along the same things too. Unfortunately, my husband bought him already. He looks a little "off" for me as far as for GSD. His coat as not as short as a boxer, not as short as a great dane for sure, but still its not as fluffy or cozy as I remember Bruno's being.I would rather have adopted from the shelter than buy, especially if we were not getting a pure bred. Oh well. Live and Learn I suppose.
The same thing happened to us when we got Victor. He has very close/slick fur, not GSD fur, but not as short as a boxer's either. He's DEFINITELY not an "unpapered purebred" like they tried to say he was, but there was no way my husband was leaving him there. I would also rather have adopted a dog, but I kinda feel like we DID adopt him. I mean, we paid next to nothing, and they had the puppies in a shitty situation, so even though he definitely wasn't what we were looking for, my husband brought him home anyway, and we love him to death, although he still has issues from those people. :( But who knows what they may have done with him if we hadn't taken him? He probably would have been dumped at the pound.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My red sable is very light as well. As a small pup, he had a lot more black in him. At about 10 wks it ALL fell out! ALL OF IT. He was this light red, rusty color. My hubs called him pink. Said he was pink w/ a black tail.

He's now 15 wks and the black is slowly working it's way back in. I have no idea what color he will turn out to be. So, if your pup is sable, there is a chance he will darken.

As for as being a mixed, I can't tell. The pix are kinda hard to see. Some think maybe my Murphy might be mixed, like my sister, but what the heck does she know. I'm almost convinced her GSD is a mix. White GSD my butt!

He's heavy, 30 lbs at 15 wks. Shorter than my Zeva who is 54 lbs at 9 1/2 mos. He's hard to pick up, has a broader face and will be generally a lot bigger than her, but shorter.

I had another female, red gsd, possibly sable and she was really boxy too. I posted pix her and they all think she was pure, but had soft ears.

The thing is, if he acts like a GSD, well, isn't that the most important thing? If you already bonded w/ him, why get rid of him. 200 bucks for a healthy dog isn't a lot to part w/. Most shelter dogs cost that much around here and sometimes their health or temperament can be a bit off. He's a baby, you got plenty of time to train and learn him how you want him.

What did his litter mates look like.

Keep the dog if you love him. Forget about the 200 bucks. Think of it as paying her for cleaning up 8 wks of poop and pee and feeding him, shots, wormer... and just love your unique GSD, mixed or not!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sable GSD color change

I'm glad I took picture of this lil fellow... his sable coat is changing weekly. Had I not taken pictures I would have forgotten what he looked like when he was younger. His sides have a darkened saddle pattern with black on top... His thigh and tail has darken... I miss the tan tail wth the distinct black markings. They are still there but not as distinct as once before... We got him and 8 weeks and now his 16 weeks and we are looking at a total different puppy. The only thing constant is that he still loves to chew my hand instead of his toys...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Nice looking pup. I need to take a new pix of Murphy.

He's really dark red now, almost brown and is getting some black in him. He's a good pup and darkening nicely. Every says he's cute lol.. so that's a good think. Got big feet and ears, but not as huge as Zeva's were.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts