German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question, but when will my pup start lifting his leg to pee??? He gets it all over his feet and leg so I want him to lift so its not so messy.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
They are still messy whether they lift or not... my Cody started lifting his leg around 6 months and he pees on his front foot every time he lifts his leg...
just this morning I had to wipe off his right front leg because of that...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Cyrus was about 8 months...I still remember how happy I was when I first saw him lift his leg...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it silly???? I want him to lift his leg and I want my 2 yr old daughter to be potty trained. I wonder what will come first.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Shane never lifts his leg. He is 16 months and he still squats...not all bad, definitely less messy!

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
My boy didn't start til about 14 months after he met all the other boys at the park. Then he went thru a quick phase of peeing on EVERYTHING and I curb'd that really fast!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
My boy started about 3 yrs and he still doesn't lift his leg everytime. Sometimes, he does the horse pee... stretches himself out and pees...

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Kelso is 20 months and not "fixed" He only started to lift his leg in the past 4-6 months or so, and actually only does it on occasion (on walks sometimes, or to mark over our female's urine)

He often pees with all four on the ground and often did it on his front legs when younger

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel better that he isn't the only boy dog that doesn't lift his leg. Just like kids, you don't want your dog to be too different.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Grimm does the PonyPee. He stretches out like a horse and pees the entire ocean in one go. Then, even if other dogs have marked on the walk, he doesn't.
He is 19 months old!
I love how silly he is.

·
2,967 Posts
Mine started to lift his leg to mark at about 11 months. He still doesn't always lift his leg. When he just has to pee, he also does the stretched out horse pee.

His Sire, at 6 years old, still stretched out to pee when I saw him.

We have pee feet all the time, even when he does lift his leg. Just be grateful he hasn't peed on his face, yet.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
It may happen, it may not. Rushie lifts his and pees all over his front leg. Then he jumps on me with his wet front leg!!! He lifts it on posts, on the lawn chairs -- and he is tall enough to get it on the seat, on dog houses, on cots, on every last item even the electric fence unit.

Sometimes I wish he did not lift his leg at all.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Cochise, my old Sibe, hoisted his leg soooo high he was almost vertical...then squirted straight down so he was marking about 2 in off the ground (if that) So much wasted effort!

Da Vinci, my 1st Irish Wolfhound, did the horse steeetch with a twist. He'd just barely lift his back leg as he peed. He was actually considerably more dominant than Cochise, but not nearly as political, & not at all rank driven.

Sam, 9yo spayed GSD(previously bred), currently the alpha canine, only squats. Spanky, 3.5yo spayed(never bred) American Bulldog, both squats & lifts her leg. Djibouti, 6mo GSD(intact) still squats. He fully expects to take over the world so I'll be interested to see if leg lifting manifests, or if he just gets political.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts