German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :)

Some of you might know from what I posted here a time ago I decided/was forced to not get a dog this year. And I accepted that there is nothing I can do about it right now.

But thinking about it there is something even more scary: I don't know if I will ever be able fo get a dog.

After finishing my studies I expect to work full time, will most likely not able to come home for 8 hours plus the time spent on traveling. There isn't really anyone who could stay with the dog, I cannot count on any future flatmates obviously.

So guys, what are your experiences in simlar life situations with both adult and younger dogs? Do you have any advice for me? How can I manage this problem?

I am really hoping for some belp because even though I have accepted that I cannot get a dog right now I cannot accept the possibility of not being able to have a dog ever - or until I'm on pension (if there will be any pension by that time)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
sounds like you shouldn't be getting any dog soon. if you must travel and do not have a reg 9 to 5 job, i don't see how you can provide a stable home for a pet. maybe after you marry and have kids you may have the help you need.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sounds like you shouldn't be getting any dog soon. if you must travel and do not have a reg 9 to 5 job, i don't see how you can provide a stable home for a pet. maybe after you marry and have kids you may have the help you need.
I think you might have misunderstood me. I was referring to my future situation, after uni. I will most likely have a regular job, a 9-5 one, when I mentioned the traveling I was referring to the time needed to get to work and back home, which might be anything depending on how far I will live from my workplace so it's not the biggest problem, the time spent in work is.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If having a dog is that important to you, look for a job that will allow it. For example, taking your dog to work. If you travel, you can find in-home board and train facilities that are really wonderful, but expensive. Or perhaps network with other pet owners to find people who would let your dog stay with them for a few nights. It sounds like a GSD might be too much for you, but if you can find an easygoing dog that can go anywhere and adapts easily, it is possible.

Also, how feasible this is really depends on WHERE you will be living. Some cities have a plethora of daycares and dog walkers for busy pet owners, others have nothing. It sounds like commuting is a necessity? Or can you find a smaller city to live in?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
If I were in your shoes, had a 9-5 job, I would be lining someone up or looking into doggie daycare type of situation because I can't see me ever living without a dog.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Most of us have fulltime jobs, either a regular 8-5 or a variation of some sort, and it's certainly doable! If you get a puppy you would want to find a reputable person to come let it out during the day, or you may want to adopt an adult dog that is already housebroken.

At one point I was a shift supervisor on a 12 hour shift, which meant that at a minimum I was there 30 minutes prior to the shift and 30 minutes after, so Rocky and Toto were home alone for 13 hours. They were fine with it, not that I would recommend that situation but it was worked fine for the time being.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I work irregular shifts 8-12 hours on irregular days. Not a Monday through Friday 9-5 job.

If I can house break and potty train a GSD by myself anyone can.

You just have to decide how much of your future life is going to revolve around a dog.

Are you willing to sacrifice relationships, desired housing, extracurricular activities, etc., for the happiness and well-being of your dog? If you have to think about this, a GSD might not be the right dog for you.

There is no shame in that. My dogs and I have always been very close. Other people I know have dogs that don't require the attention that a GSD does. A GSD can drive most sane people crazy if they don't understand them or know what to expect while they are raising them.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I work irregular shifts 8-12 hours on irregular days. Not a Monday through Friday 9-5 job.

If I can house break and potty train a GSD by myself anyone can.
:thumbup:

Just wanted to add that if you have a job that includes lunch hour breaks, you can go home and play with your dog. That is what I do with mine and she is happy as a clam. Being alone for four hours at a time is really not much to expect from an adult dog.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My situation is changing because my son is off to college. I went ahead and purchased a house that is less then five minutes from my work, so that I can go home mid day to let them out and let them stretch. If you find a job, then find a place to live, you might be okay.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
the majority of people have a 9-5 job. if you get a puppy its a lot more work but its not impossible. puppies sleep all day anyways. they just need someone to let them out to pee. you can definitely own a dog. it all depends how much effort you want to put into it. its a lot of work but its also VERY rewarding. nothing beats coming home after a long hard day of work to a dog excited to see you with his tail wagging 100mph

i get off at 4:30 and will do various things with my dog for 2 hours and then eat dinner and do my own thing. if you can commit 2 hours of hard core play with a dog a couple of times a week it should be happy. on the weekends i usually take mine hiking in the morning and go out with friends at night. dogs dont need attention 24/7

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my GF an i work fulltime. before we bought a pup i went
to my neighbors and said "we're getting a puppy and i need
your help". i needed my neighbors help with feeding, letting
out the pup, spending time with the pup, etc. while we worked
or when we went out socially, shopping or whatever reason we
couldn't take care of the pup. both of my neighbors had no
problem helping us. i also had walkers and sitters lined up.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I can take care of only one dog - and I have the time and patience to give her the attention, exercise, training and love she needs.

If you can't spare that - don't get a dog! A dog will take over your life.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, someone said it--it's a huge commitment to PROPERLY care for a dog. I've worked with and had quite a plethora of breeds over the years--and I can honestly say that Malachi (GSD) is the most demanding I've ever had. Perhaps 'demanding' isn't the right word, but, GSDs are more like kids than any other breed I've worked with.
It's essentially like asking yourself, am I ready to be a dad? lol
I believe you can certainly have a dog working a 9-5 (without commute) I've done it before-but a GSD is probably not the breed I would suggest.
And you NEED to be realistic in asking yourself (I think someone else said this, too) how much time am I willing to devote towards my dog? If your dog and your job are the only things in your life--it's feasible. But if you're wanting to have much of a life that DOESN'T involve your dog..I'm not so sure it's a good idea. THAT is the problem with working most of the day and having a dog--all of your spare time is going to have to be devoted to the dog in order for you both to live happily. Otherwise, you're going to get a very unhappy pup who will probably start acting out and making your life a nightmare.

There are certainly ways to make it work-but I would not suggest a working breed.
That's just my opinion, though..

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It does take a lot of commitment and sacrifice both financially and time wise. But if you want something bad enough, you make it work :)

I get up at 5:20 AM, feed and let the dogs out and then recrate them and leave at 6 AM, my sister gets up later then me and watches them until she has to leave. I work too far from home so I can't go home at lunch like I used to, so my sister uses her lunch break and lets the dogs out. I get home around 4:30 PM. I'm gone for 10.5 hours and come back to two boisterous and happy dogs, one wants to cuddle on the couch and the other wants me to play for 2 hours straight. There are days I'm absolutely exhausted and seeing those pleading eyes just kills me.

I compromise and relax for half a hour before feeding them dinner, then I get started on making my own. Once I've eaten then it's dog time and we play outside, train, go for walks, etc and then the last part of the evening is quiet couch time. Spending time with my dogs and seeing them happy makes me happy, it's worth all the sacrifices when I'm sitting on the couch with both dogs cuddled beside me and the cats sitting nearby too and everything is quiet. Those moments are special :)

There are ways to get around a work schedule, as others have mentioned a dog walker or daycare can help. Arranging inhouse or a good boarding facility when you're away takes care of that issue.

If you're looking for something temporary or easier, maybe look into fostering. That way you can have the benefits of a dog but not the financial burden and if you do need to travel then the rescue will set up another foster home. Or volunteering with a rescue can be very rewarding, helping set up events, transport dogs, and other jobs. Local shelters need volunteers to help care for the animals as well, cleaning cages, walking dogs, etc

There are many ways you can still be around and help animals even not owning one yourself.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
some people make it sound like a gsd will consume your life and your social life will be gone. i own a czech working line dog and thats far from the truth. i just find myself doing different things with my time. instead of watching tv i suddenly find myself looking up new places to hike. instead of going to play basketball im suddenly finding new running trails. i upgraded up fishing gear and was excited to go to the lake and catch nothing. i bought a bike, skate board, and roller blades. if you took your dog on a 30 minute run every day (roughly 3 miles), MOST dogs will be happy. if you ran 30 minutes every day, YOU will feel happy and energized.

i do feel that if you do get a dog, get it from a good reputable breeder. if you get a weak nerved dog, it is a whole lot more work and you'll spend more time managing/worry about the dog.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I had dogs during most of my working career ... I paid someone to take them out (even when I was on shift work), feed them if necessary, etc. Worked well. Now I'm home with them 24/7 ... works even better :)

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Many, many people here have 9-5 jobs with long commutes. If they don't have spouses/etc, then they hire a dog walker or look into doggie daycare. It can be done. I worked 8-12 hour days when I first got Echo, and I was living a few hours away from my husband for grad school. He went to puppy day care, and I basically didn't have a social life (although, people LOVED coming over to my apartment to see the puppy ;) ).

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have had to work full time since forever. But what's also very important is living arrangements. If you don't own a house chances are you may have to move, having a dog makes that dificult sometimes, specially with BSL (breed specific laws).
Don't worry about time issues, there's always time issues so you make time for your dog.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I work almost full time (30-35 hours a week) and the days I do work am gone for 10,11 hours at a time. Plus on top of that I am a student (pre-vet so its not easy either) I have raised my puppy into a dog, and have no problems caring for him. I live in a townhouse, so I am forced to get out there and exercise with him daily, but I dont mind since I am active. Yes, having a dog, ESPECIALLY a GSD, prepare to sacrifice your social life. I work, go to school, and spend time with my dog. I take him with me everywhere I can. I do my homework after he has had his exercise needs met. I make it work, because I honestly wanted a GSD in my life. If you arent ready for the insane commitment, I wouldnt get one. You have to REALLY want a dog. Most people I know dont understand why I never want to go out because of my dog, but thats fine, they dont know GSD's. I am lucky enough to get some help when I am at work, my mother lets him out and keeps him entertained for a few hours of the day, but he is usually still rearing to go when I get home at 7pm :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts