German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a better place to post this so if it's in the wrong place mods please feel free to move it.

I joined this board in October of 2017 after getting my puppy. It has been a struggle with her. I hadn't had a dog since I was 12 and I'm 41 now. I had a GSD/collie mix that was sweet and thought Xena would be sweet too...ummm not exactly.

Instead I ended up with a puppy took too early from it's mother that was so nippy and mouthy that she tore the arm off one hoodie, tore holes in another hoodie and a pair of pants. She had me seriously wondering if I had made the right decision; almost sent her off to board and train way too early. In one of my earliest posts someone suggested I rehome her...can't remember who it was.

Entered training in December of 2017. She had a very rough first day; didn't follow commands; didn't want to follow commands. She didn't mind me at home was running out of the yard...still nipping. My trainer named her hard head. :surprise: In fact we go longer than the 8 training sessions. I feel like I'm the worse owner ever.

Slowly it starts clicking with her. We work in the cold...no gloves she hates gloves BTW. The coldest nights she sleeps in the house instead of her kennel outside...no accidents either. Still a little mouthy but not as bad. It's getting better she seems to listening more getting better with commands. She looks at me with those big eyes when she does a command to see if she's done it right. My trainer reminds us to keep working that our dogs will get it and be great dogs.

Finally one day my trainer tells me you've been working hard with your dog she's doing great and has changed so much since she first came. :smile2: Xena seems to know she's been talked about I get a big doggie grin.

Xena is my hard headed baby. She's always been mouthy but for the past 3 days she's ate fresh blueberries out my hand with no teeth touching my hands...she's never done that before. She follows me in the yard off leash without jumping or nipping at my clothes..she has her ball but hey I'll take it.

I laugh when she barks at the turtles in the yard. I cheer when she catches the ball in her mouth. I sigh when she tries to be a butt head on a command she know how to do. I laugh again when she blows out air like she's sighing at me.

She's only 10 months and I know we will still have hard times but she has come so far. I know she's not as well trained as I would like her to be; I don't spend enough time with her on some days. She's spoiled rotten; I mean she places her feet on my jeep's seat and waits for me to lift her up...It's a Jeep Compass...it's not that tall.

I just wanted to share the highlight and the ups and downs of this crazy dog. Sometimes I think she's too much for me; I mean I'm chunky, possible RA and had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands owner of a GSD/Mal mix...I do wonder what was I thinking lol.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Thank you for sharing. You and Xena make a great team!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sounds like very normal struggles with a GSD/Mal puppy and first time owner... you have done a great job persevering and training her... you and Xena will be great pals for life!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAPPY UPDATE: Went to the vet just for a weigh in and to see if Xena really needs her car sickness meds. I'm happy to report she did great! She did drool some but no throwing up. There was even another dog there...a boxer or pitbull and Xena didn't pay any attention to her. She did bark at the other dog but it was a greeting bark I guess. Xena even did the shake command for the vet tech that me and her had been working on!

SO HAPPY!!! I hated giving her that medicine. She was so good today I just had to share. Look for new pictures soon in the pictures thread.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Congratulations, it's always awesome when you see all that work you put in with a dog pays off! She sounds like she's really becoming a great dog!

·
Super Moderator
5,029 Posts
I love that you have a good trainer and you are working through this stuff. Someday you'll have a wonderful adult dog who clicks with you and you may even miss the Little Brat days. Just a little.

I told my hubby he wasn't allowed to play with our dogs wearing good shirts. Many a shirt had to be trashed to accidental rips and tears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts