German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have a new rescue GSD though I'm sure she's not purebred or she wouldn't have been dumped out in the fields. She is super sweet and the humane society estimated age is 10 months. Ive got a vet visit scheduled for her later in the week so hope to get a better idea. She's seems very thin but when I weighed her she is 61 lbs. Her coat is really varigated and I'm wondering at what age their markings settle in ? Her ears, tail, and body silhouette are very Gsd but her fur is on the short side ....which I'm grateful for actually lol!
If you can see her pic on my profile image i would love feedback.

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Welcome!

The picture is fuzzy when I blow it up, but she looks like a sable GSD to me.

Reactions: Nursejulie

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
She is beautiful! And she looks like a pure-bred sable GSD to me. Her coat is not likely to change too much from what it looks like now... it will get darker and lighter during the different seasons but not much else. She does have a double coat (which is standard for a GSD) so you'll still get plenty of shedding.

10 months can be a very tricky time with these dogs, they like to push the boundaries and can get up to all sorts of nonsense.. that might be why her previous owners got rid of her.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
YES, she is a very pretty dog! And to me she looks all GSD too. As others mentioned, 10 months can be a trying stage, but people drop off absolute treasures for all kinds of reasons! 61 lbs doesn't seem too light to me, and from the photos she doesn't look "too" skinny. She's got that leggy, female look about her though, to be sure. Great looking pup, your vet will give you better info, but I'm guessing she's perfectly healthy based on her pictures. Congratulations!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Awww what a doll! She is beautiful and looks purebred to me also. Thanks for giving her a loving home.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Life with Macey - her history

Thank you everyone for the encouraging feedback - I love this group! I fostered an un-neutered 2 year old male a couple of months ago and it was kind of a nightmare - his original family asked for him back (they thought their infant was allergic to him, but it turned out it was a milk allergy) so thankfully he got to return to them . . . they really appreciated and encouraged his intense territorial-ness but I was honestly afraid he was going to eat our mailman lol.
Little Macey-girl is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum - she guards but very quietly - she might bark once a day and it is a single warning bark. From what I can piece together she was dumped about 4-5 months ago out in the agricultural fields and someone was putting food out for her at night because she couldn't be caught, then one family took her for a few weeks but surrendered her to the humane society because she was "too big"; the humane society neutered and chipped her and gave her to a foster family who has had her for about 2 months, just growing and socializing her; they had 4 dogs, 5 cats, and two toddlers so they are the real heroes here , , , I feel like I hit the jackpot with her. I'm sure some problems will show up because she is young and untrained but she seems very teachable and is sensitive and eager to please without being skittish and afraid. Several times she will mouth my ankle when she's behind me, which I've never had a dog do before - anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Congrats she is a beauty! Glad your male got his home back ! Max my male is protective I like that quality even though it comes with responsibility I feel the males are more intense. I had a nurse over and put the dogs out. Max did not leave the deck but watched the entire time. When it was time to check my blood pressure -max looked concerned and his entire attention wAs on the nurse. When she was done he picked up his ball and wagged his tail ready to play outside. Have fun with macey can’t wait to see more photos!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mouthing your ankle from behind? Sounds like she's trying to play with you like she would another pup. If I engage my girl with rough housing she usually does the same (I honestly think most of the bruises I have are my fault anyways from moving away).

Your girl Macey is gorgeous and she sounds wonderful! I hope you have an awesome time together!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha it sounds like your Max has been trained a bit better. That poor male had already been banned from both pet stores in town, and both vets at the nearby clinic refused to examine him, and his owners had been cited when he got out and cornered an elementary school teacher . . . all of which they shared only after they came to pick him up again lol. He was beautiful, and luckily he liked me but he basically hated and wanted to kill anyone else . .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! I agree it is a playful action - it is very gentle and almost just feels like a fly is landing on you but I am telling her "no" with it anyway, because don't want her to do that to my grandson. She is just the best girl and I'm so happy to have her!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts