German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Macey is a 10-11 month old rescue GSD that I've had for just two weeks. She was on her own for the first several months of her life, then with a foster family for the last two months that had 3 other female dogs, cats, and two toddlers, and definitely is the submissive one when meeting all other dogs thus far. Friends have a 2 year old neutered lab who is constantly humping her when they are together - they think this is amusing and keep saying "this is what dogs do" and "he will stop if she would make him". They are not being cruel, but state the other female dogs this male is around just get him to stop by snapping at him and this does the trick. The problem is that Macey is so incredibly submissive she just will not do it so she just takes it . . . . maybe it's bothering me more than it is her, but it's starting to drive me crazy. I have had male dogs before and did not allow this behavior - am I expecting too much? And, will Macey get enough confidence at some point to fend for herself in this area?

·
Super Moderator
7,102 Posts
It's a dominance behavior and it's detrimental to her as you continue to bond with her and work to increase her confidence.Explain that to your friends and if they can't respect that then keep your dog away from your friend's dog.Be Macey's advocate.
It's impossible to tell over the internet how much she will improve.Time will tell:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts