German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For working on the boat.

Who does it and who does not?
Do the dogs overheat in them compared to working nakid?

Do you have a type you prefer if you use them? I tried an outward hound on Beau yesterday but he had a hard time keeping his butt up with it and I know he can swim level normally.

I prefer to keep the dog on the boat but sometimes, because they are hanging off the edge....they go in unintentionally.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
We do not use life jackets for the dogs, never have, and there has never been a problem. I do know someone that does, and I know he is happy with the life jacket he is using for his dog. I will find out what kind it is.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I just tense up with the dog is on the prow of a carolina skiff in the middle of a large reservoir at night. Not the ideal boat to work from but what we have to use more often than I like. Our local SO uses the REscue Ones.

We did have one close call - as Grim has gotten older he cannot hook his back legs over the gunnels to pull himself back in a jon and the bigger boats have a step by the engine which they can kill pretty quickly, but he is retired now.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I have a Rescue One connector boat. I love my boat:)
I have never used one on my dogs. I do however, keep them on a harness and have a line attached in the event the boat hits something,etc and the dog goes overboard. My main concern is getting him back on board ASAP due to alligators.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the harness IS another option......Alligators are inching their way up here and we sometimes search in the lowcountry so we don't WANT our dogs to go in the water. I guess if you can handle a harness and a line in the woods it would not be an issue on a boat. I like that. The only place to bring the dog in on those skiffs is the side which is to high for the dog to assist and the back - but I don't want my dog to swim around to the back of ANY boat.

I DO like the Rescue One...They got the Jet Engine for Diver Safety but it makes steering it precisely more of a challenge. Thing only draws 3 inches of water. But that is one department. The lakes on the GA SC border use patrol boats and our team jon boat is not up to anything but ponds and small lakes and slow moving rivers.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
would you believe my friends in Bryan/college station are seeing gators? not good. Especially during nesting season. mama gator has NO sense of humor:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts