German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six days ago Roxy had surgery to correct an inverted vulva. She spent last weekend laying around the house. This was great with her current restirictions of no ball playing, no outside (except for bathroom breaks), no steps and no going for walks. Roxy is now feeling better and is going stir crazy. She usually gets a 5 mile walk per day and contiuously has a ball in her mouth to play fetch. She doesn't get her stiches out until next Tuesday. Any ideas to keep an active dog calm?

·
Registered
485 Posts
My friend just had her lab on bedrest for 2 weeks and she said frozen kongs saved her life (lab is, of course - very food motivated!). Hope yours likes food - she would freeze all kinds of food in it, so that it would take a while to get through it. She would use bananas or soak kibble (if it is citric acid free) to a paste and add berries or veggie chuncks, yogurt, peanut butter, basically whatever she could think of to try and keep her occupied - RMBs, Kong Genius toys - she would have to work to get the treats out.

Hope you can find something that helps- the whole time her dog was on bedrest, I kept thinking I am SO glad it's not me - I can't imagine trying to contain mine!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that but she is currently wearing a huge cone and can't hold any food so she gives up. The human nurses can only hold bones and kongs for so long. This cone is so huge she can barely eat and drink from pie plates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts