German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you let your dog lick you?

• Yes, I let Fido lick me where ever he or she wants!

Votes: 41 46.6%
  • Yes, I let Fido lick me, but not in the face or certain areas.

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • No, don't lick me!

Votes: 14 15.9%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you let your dog lick you? If you do, do you put limits on the licking (no mouth or face licking) or it just doesn't matter where your dog licks you?

I have let my past dogs lick me. Hands and legs, but I'm just not into letting a dog lick your face. Just thinking about it reminds me of this commercial in which a woman came home and her dog licked her in the face after drinking out of the toilet.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog will lick wherever he feels like it,
if my dog is going for the face i turn my
face and let him lick my cheeks.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I let my dogs lick me, but not a lot. I find it really annoying sometimes when they lick at my legs or feet. Especially Arlo, the food obsessed lab needs to lick everything he sees to make sure he's not missing something edible. I don't mind mild licking, but they need to lay off because sometimes it just feels gross, or I'm not in a licking mood, lol.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
yup, licking with a modicum of temperance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I let Kaid lick me but he is not a big licker, he usually gives very polite kisses. My boxer on the other hand will soak you in slobber any given chance....which can be a little much.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's dangerous to laugh too near them if they are happy it can get you a wet tongue in the mouth :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't let Nash lick me, but he does, a lot. We have been very unsuccessful in teaching him to control to his tongue . . . we have pretty much given up on it. He tries to make out with everyone he meets too, I have to warn people before they go to pet him. The way he does it reminds me a lot of a puppy submitting to older dogs, obnoxiously licking their mouths/faces.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cheeks are ok but I don't do licking my mouth but occasionally they sneak one in.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Ah, I see I'm not the only one with a French kisser!:wub:

The licking thing is part of a dog's natural behavior, one that I don't discourage. In making our dogs polite members of our human world, we have to suppress so many of the other, less appropriate behaviors. I feel like licking is a rather benign, if sometimes icky, socially acceptable behavior

·
Registered
852 Posts
I dont mind them licking my face, but obviously if I just saw them lick their butt or eat poop, the answer is no. But in most cases it doesnt bother me. Ive never gotten sick from it, so probably isnt doing any real harm. My one dog drools alot and occasionally he really is in a licking mood... I dont let him lick my face when he is like that because he might just sit there for 20mins licking..

·
Registered
906 Posts
my dog will lick wherever he feels like it,
if my dog is going for the face i turn my
face and let him lick my cheeks.
I do the same! Sometimes he'll try and stick his tongue in my mouth lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
No face licking for me. I've seen where that tongue has been....

The face licking ended abruptly one day for my husband when he was playing with Storm and all of a sudden I hear "She's got CAT POOP in her teeth!!!"

·
Registered
682 Posts
I will let her lick me but not on my face.....we are dealing with a little poop eating problem right now and if she sneaks a bite or two her breath is.....well......yuckkk. This dog does some wierd stuff lol.

·
Registered
32,001 Posts
I don't always have a choice when I'm sound asleep and the tongue hits me from my collar bone to my forehead. :p

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
As long as Dharma hasn't been eating poo, I don't mind. Supposedly humans have more bacteria in our mouths than dogs do. And when she is sitting next to me and sneaks one across my face, I feel like she is just saying "Mom, I love you".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gretchen isn't a big licker, except for when my Daughter comes home. She'll get a couple on the face.

Hands with food on 'em will get a lick, but she's just not the licking kind. Licking is a puppy's way of telling Momma that they're hungry and I'm guessing that instinct is what's telling her to keep it to a minimum (?).

Now my cat, Princess, on the other hand...she has a severe 'licker problem'.

We got her from a local shelter as a wee kitten and she's part Siamese. My wife says that's why she's such a licker. It's OK, though. She does need to be stopped, but, she's a sweetie.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts