German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have recently noticed that our 5 year old GSD is licking the pressure treated deck. We had often put him out there as it's gated off and a good place for him to get fresh air and relax outside watching the squirrels etc. Should we stop putting him out there? Can't watch him all the time and we are concerned about the fact that he is licking the treated wood.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I understand your concern. If your deck is small then you could try spraying the floor with bitter apple or another type of repellant. Or you could get a floor covering like an indoor/out carpet for the deck -something that is waterproof like used around swimming pools.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Is the wood the old kind that was treated with arsenic? I had a friend who's Lab would chew on their deck and it had the arsenic. It ended up affecting his brain and they had to put him down.

If you are sure it doesn't have arsenic then I wouldn't worry. I WOULD put something out there for him to chew on - like a nice, big raw bone! :)

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Found this info on-line:

Pressure-treated lumber is wood that has been immersed in a liquid preservative and placed in a pressure chamber. The chamber forces the chemical into the wood fibers. The pressurized approach makes sure that the chemical makes it to the core of each piece of wood -- it is much more effective than simply soaking the wood in the chemical.
The most common chemical used to treat lumber used to be chromated copper arsenate, or CCA. In 2003, however, the Environmental Protection Agency restricted the use of CCA in residential settings due to health and environmental concerns about arsenic leaching out of the wood. The most widely used alternative to CCA is alkaline copper quat, or ACQ. Copper is toxic to various insects and fungi that might cause decay. ACQ binds to wood fibers very well and allows wood to last decades even when it is in contact with the ground.
The protection provided by the chemical depends on the amount of chemical that the wood absorbs. In the United States, the amount of chemical is measured in pounds of chemical per cubic foot of wood. For ground contact, 0.40 pounds per cubic foot is needed. For foundations, 0.60 pounds per cubic foot is the standard.
The chemicals in treated wood are generally not good for humans. This is why you see warnings advising you to wear gloves, avoid breathing the sawdust, and refrain from burning treated wood. Keeping small children away from treated wood is also a good idea.

Reading this I would say to keep him from licking it. Maybe set up an x-pen with some mats in it for him to lay on (and keep him from the wood).

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone for your advice, appreciate the comments. We used to have a 10 x 10 kennel for him but didn't take it with us when we moved to this house. He always has toys out there but lately has seemed to developed a habit of licking floors, he even does it inside the house. We don't wash the floors with anything other than water for that reason. He is not obscessive about the licking but once in a while we notice him doing it and immediately tell him to stop. The deck is only about a year old but still don't trust what they use in it. Will have to come up with a plan, some good suggestions thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts