German Shepherds Forum banner

Licking plates?

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  doggiedad 
#1 ·
Does anyone let their dog lick their plate after you finish eating? My wife thinks its gross and freaks out about it, but I still do it sometimes. I know where my dogs tongue has been and all, but the way I see it, she licks me anyway and I wash the dishes afterwards. Am I the only weirdo?

#2 ·
Not as a general rule. My MIL used to come to our house, get waited on because she wouldn't get up to get her own plate, then give OUR plate to HER dog to lick. It was disgusting.

Our dogs have their dishes. If I want them to eat something, I put it in their dish. I think that it starts a habit of them thinking it's ok to lick off the plates whenever they want.

#5 ·
sometimes we do but its rarely these days.

#6 ·
Does anyone let their dog lick their plate after you finish eating? My wife thinks its gross and freaks out about it, but I still do it sometimes. I know where my dogs tongue has been and all, but the way I see it, she licks me anyway and I wash the dishes afterwards. Am I the only weirdo?
Thats not weird at all. I let my cats lick bowls too.

#7 ·
Whats the big deal? If you let them lick your face... whats the difference between that and your plates as long as they're washed after?

I don't let lucy lick my plate because i never give her scraps unless it's in her dinner, but i don't think it's disgusting either.

#9 ·
Oh yeah I forgot, I do let my senior cat lick my bowl clean after I eat as long as it wasn't something with onions or other harmful ingredients. Actually I've been doing it so often lately that she will now come and sit near me when she hears me eating and wait for her 'turn'. :p (Although sometimes she doesn't want to wait her turn!)

#10 ·
I don't let him lick my plates but my parents do when he's over there. I really don't like it. I'm pretty lazy and I usually eat in front of the tv, so I often put plates on the floor or on the couch even when I'm not done. I don't want him thinking that every plate is for him, or that every plate might be for him. He's also very tall, and it's no sweat off of his back to put his head on the table without having to jump up onto it and nab something off a plate. Plus I think it's gross, even though they go through the dishwasher. I don't let him lick my face either.

#14 ·
No. On occasion I will give them some left over soup or pizza crust but in general they simply do better with their own raw diets. No need to give them the extra sodium and sugar in my food.

#15 ·
Not plates, but if I just made up a batch of treats for them I'll let them lick the bowl or spoon. One time I gave Rosa an empty peanut butter jar (plastic) to clean for me before I recycled it. She did a good job.

#17 ·
Wolfie shoves his head in the dishwasher and licks away while I am loading it. Then he tries to push me away when I add the Cascade to the dishwasher because he knows the lickfest is about to end! He did grab the bottom rack once and ran with it full of dishes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.