German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy is 11months now and intact and has begun intensely sniffing areas where other dogs have peed and he will start licking it if I let him. When he does start licking the pee he begins the salivate intensely. Sometimes he will completely ignore me when he gets locked in.

Not really a concern but can someone tell me when is going on with this behavior?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
All I know to tell you is that it is a male thing, most male dogs will do this. Maybe someone who knows the reasoning behind it will chime in.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
From what I understand, they lick it to smell it better. Males will salivate and sometimes click their teeth/jaw when they smell female urine.

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
analysing scent . appreciating the finer nuances.
there is something in the anatomy of the vault of the mouth, an organ , which receives scent and adds to the information the nose would pick up.

sometimes when dogs track they will track open mouth .
Birch-Bark Hill: Dogs Working Scent/Open Mouth & Licking

our senses are no where as developed but we will swirl and smell brandy , then taste , hold in mouth for full experience of the complexity .

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Please, oh please, someone tell me why an intact male would be interested in the pee of a spayed adult female? I've actually been looking for this answer for months now! Sorry to be a pest!
I've always wondered that too, except Mikko is fixed too. At first, I thought he was only doing the foaming/chattering for intact female urine, but I'm not sure.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you know carmpack, you always take the fun out of
our rookie, don't know squat answers. :smirk:/LOL.

analysing scent . appreciating the finer nuances.
there is something in the anatomy of the vault of the mouth, an organ , which receives scent and adds to the information the nose would pick up.

sometimes when dogs track they will track open mouth .
Birch-Bark Hill: Dogs Working Scent/Open Mouth & Licking

our senses are no where as developed but we will swirl and smell brandy , then taste , hold in mouth for full experience of the complexity .

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com

·
Registered
32,617 Posts
The male will lick the pee of a female, checking for all of what Carmen said. Who is here? How old? Healthy? Near breeding time? And usually he will lift his leg on or near the spot to leave his message to any other male callers: "Big, strong Cassanova has already chosen this bitch, so clear out!"

A neutered dog may or may not be driven to examine urine -- the uterine horns and bladder share some plumbing so one can tell more than just a little about a bitch in question. It probably depends on how strong his drive to pro-create was prior to the neuter, and how strong his instincts are; but that is just a guess.

A dog can gather more information from the urine than just how close a bitch is to estrus. So a dog that is interested, might be interested, but what happens after he lifts his head out of it. Is he dragging you along looking for the bitch in question, or is he just looking for the next object of interest -- I think that would depend on how ready the intact bitch was.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
The male will lick the pee of a female, checking for all of what Carmen said. Who is here? How old? Healthy? Near breeding time? And usually he will lift his leg on or near the spot to leave his message to any other male callers: "Big, strong Cassanova has already chosen this bitch, so clear out!"

A neutered dog may or may not be driven to examine urine -- the uterine horns and bladder share some plumbing so one can tell more than just a little about a bitch in question. It probably depends on how strong his drive to pro-create was prior to the neuter, and how strong his instincts are; but that is just a guess.
Haha I'm really going to be a pest now, but I can't help it, I have the taste of possible knowledge pushing me on... My intact male is so interested in the spayed female's urine.. yet, he lives with them. He is around them every day, every night. He surely has everything about them figured out, yet he still desires to lick their urine. He still desires to smell their girly parts. He's a real pest sometimes with this! In fact, I had to make a command for this problem -- "NO SNIFF!"

I just own a major horndog, don't I? :shocked::eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.