German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 3.5 month old gs pup has a behaviour or poss illness that causes her to constantly lick the tiled floor, carpet, mats and other random things in the house. Nose & eyes are always down to the floor Searching for food.

Outside she will always be looking down with nose to the ground, picking up stones or other random objects plus eating lots of grass, it's pretty relentless.

Something else that might be related is she seems to have some dry skin and will lick & nibble on herself often, I can see it's really bothering her sometimes as she barks or becomes snappy because of it. I've started brushing her a bit now but not helping I don't think.

I feed her Eukanuba lbp food but also will feed some raw beef, lamb, chicken, mackrel, eggs, carrots in separate meals and add in a teaspoon of cod liver oil here and there.
I plan on changing the dry food after Christmas to possibly totw but not sure yet.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Be careful about supplementing your puppy's diet with raw food. Puppies need each meal to be properly balanced because of how they process nutrients, which is different than adult dogs. Unbalanced meals can result in too little or too much of certain nutrients which can have a negative affect. If you are not knowledgeable about raw do your research about how to properly feed a puppy a raw diet. Otherwise select a high quality kibble and feed that.

I would also recommend having her checked out by your Vet and make sure there are no medical issues. It is normal for puppies to be curious about their enviroment, but obsessive behaviors are not. I also suggest you contact her breeder and ask if any other puppies in the litter and displaying the same behaviors.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Puppies are exploring at that age and it's not unusual for them to touch everything with their mouths and grabs stones etc. It is their way of exploring. It is a good idea to look for a better food. Also, make sure puppy gets lots of mental stimulation and appropriate toys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I have been feeding a good quality dry food since (markus muhle black angus junior) but still have issues at times all though keeping her busy constantly does help somewhat.
Shes on anti biotics at the min for some skin issues, red itchy skin in the arm pits, itsgetting better but not eliminated, vet says acne but Im not sold on it, see how it goes I guess almost finished the antibiotics

1 - 4 of 4 Posts