German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the brat decided to pick a fight with my crazy cat. Leyna lost. The cat scratched her on the top of the head 2 days ago. I was using bacitracin on it and it looked ok. Well, this morning her eyes turned red and bloodshot. She got an infection. The scratch looks ok but it was deep enough to do damage.
The vet looked at her scratch (the cat got her very good) and asked if we had a pet bobcat. I said close enough, a 14lb manx mix. Anyways, Leyna is now on a 14 day course of cephalexin, 250mg 2x a day.
I am familiar with what cat scratches can do to humans, but how about dogs?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Ouch, sounds like those two will need to be kept separated!

The problem with cat scratches is that they can be deceptively deep and close quickly and cat nails are super germy. How did the vet recommend keeping it clean? I would use a hot compress and a tiny bit of tea tree oil to draw out the infection and then put betadine on it.

Be sure to give her probiotics, 2 hours apart from when you give the antibiotics.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch, sounds like those two will need to be kept separated!

The problem with cat scratches is that they can be deceptively deep and close quickly and cat nails are super germy. How did the vet recommend keeping it clean? I would use a hot compress and a tiny bit of tea tree oil to draw out the infection and then put betadine on it.

Be sure to give her probiotics, 2 hours apart from when you give the antibiotics.

The vet recommended I clean it twice a day with soap and water and treat her with the antibiotics. The scratch did close within a day and it looks ok, but obviously isn't. I try to keep them seperated but sometimes it is difficult. Leyna starts her 1 on 1 training on November 20th and one of the things we will be working on is redirecting her prey drive.
One thing that did upset me, the vet tech (who has never seen my pup before) told me I needed to put a shock collar on her. I went off on that comment.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Geez- a shock collar? I go to a fabulous vet clinic with 3 vets and several techs and I greatly respect vet techs and their knowledge, training and experience. But none of them has ever given an unsolicited personal opinion, advice or suggestion.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the vet office we go to. This one vet tech that has never worked with Leyna before said that. The other 2 vet techs have been fabulous.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Poor little Leyna! :(

Bad kitty, Bad! :mad:

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor little Leyna! :(

Bad kitty, Bad! :mad:
Not that Leyna is too innocent herself lol. :angel: She actually cornered the cat and the cat got her. This is the same cat I posted about declawing eventually. She has gotten better with the furniture but Leyna's head is worse than scratching the furniture. :rolleyes:
Leyna's eyes look better today 24 hours post antibiotic. She is her normal self minus the pudding poo the vet warned me about. :poop:lol I haven't used the poop smiley in awhile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts