German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to let the dog sit up on couches and stuff. I thought I read that dogs shouldn't be allowed on beds and couches because then they will think they are the same level (in the hierarchy) as you. I've been looking at a lot of the pictures in the gallery and many dogs are posed on beds and couches.

In addition I really have only one couch that I'd want Pebbles on (the other ones are leather). If I let her up on that one, I'm afraid she'd get the idea she can climb up on everything.

What is your take on this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Personally, I will not let Tucker on any furniture. I also have leather and do not want to have to replace it any time soon. He usually will sit/lay on the floor, either on my feet or right next to them.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I also have leather and suppose always will while having these shedding dawgs:))

Mine are allowed on the furniture, however it's with MY permission.

If one seems to be getting a little to "possessive" (which one of my aussies tends to do) over a piece of furniture,,they aren't allowed on it :)) and DO know when I tell them to "off"..

diane

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Jake is not a dog that wants to be physically close most of the time.When he wants to come up and snuggle-either on bed or couch-I always do an 'off' command followed by OK and it seems to work.Just to say he always does off and 50% of the time will come back and 50% go sleep/be elsewhere.It is hard NOT to be happy he wants to be with me and snuggle but this is how I handle it(I try not to feel bad when he chooses to go elsewhere)

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
All of the dogs(Several GSDs, 2 Catahoula Leopard Dogs and a Cattle Dog mix.) I have had over the last 30 years have been allowed on the furniture and bed. I hav NEVER had any issues. They KNOW I am the "boss" and if I say "off" or "move" they do it with NO hesitation.

I have a zillion year old leather couch and the dogs don't hurt it any.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I bought leather furniture for the animals and it has been far easier to clean/maintain than cloth! And yes, my dog is allowed on couch/recliner/bed/kitchen table....just threw in that last one to see if you are paying attention. In my life, I have only had one dog with issues up on the furniture and that was a cocker I rescued. It took awhile to work it out but the dog eventually learned she didn't have to be defensive but she needed to get off when told so.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I read in a german shepherd book that you are not suppose to let them on your bed/furniture unless they are invited. That is also only after you have sat/layed down yourself. Then you invite them to lay/sleep with you.
But when you want them off, off they should go without hesitation! Duke is not allowed on the furniture because it is the microfiber and it is brand new, but he does sleep on our bed anytime he wants. As long as he gives us room! If he is crowding all I do is tell him over and he scoots over, or he has to get down!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have no problem (except hair) allowing my dogs on the furniture. Skye, my GSD, knows quite well I am the leader - she has a chair by the window that is mainly for her and does need permission. She will get off if asked.

If my dogs began guarding the space from me I would rethink it. I've had GSDs for over 20 years and never had a problem.

I enjoy them sitting with me occassionally.

·
Registered
441 Posts
We have a GSD and a GSD /lab? mix. we do allow them on the bed and on the furniture, but they always have to wait for an invite. (when we are home) I KNOW they don't wait for one while we aren't home (i saw those muddy footprints INDIGO!)

Its a pain when it comes to cleaning etc, but i guess that's just who we are.

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
They only loose bed privileges if they get disobedient. Barker the Elder is the one that gets on the bed. She lobbied very hard as a youngster and, at about 18 months, I gave in. About 12 years ago...

There's no getting on the couch or chairs because, for the most part, they are covered with junk I haven't put away....

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Its such a personal choice. When I adopted Tessa I didn't allow her on the bed or furniture unless invited up. Though occasionally I would catch her on the couch when my back was turned, or could tell she'd been on my bed while I was out lol. Personally I don't buy that about the dogs thinking they are on the same level as you. I think dogs are much more intelligent than we give them credit for and realize humans are not dogs. Now if there is a respect issue going on then I think you need to pay attention to the little things like up on the furniture.

My dogs are now welcome on the furniture whenever they please, but will get off the second I tell them to. If they didn't get off easily they would lose that privilege. I don't take any lip either lol. If I say "off" and they don't get off immediately I point and glare and they will sheepishly get down.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Its your decision about furniture. As long as you don't mind cleaning it up and your dog gets off the furniture when you ask him to get off. My dog seems to have no interest in jumping up on our leather coach, she prefers the floor her crate. She does like to lie down with the wall or furniture to her back though or next to me when I am on the coach but on the floor. I do invite her up on our bed at night for a few minutes at night before she goes into her crate. It depends on your dog's personality. My dog is pretty energetic and does not like to be crowded or petted like crazy. She is more interested in playing and being a dog instead of being affectionate like people are.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
My dogs are on the furniture, we have blankets that I wash regularly. The couch is a microsuede and cleans well, but is showing wear. I wish I had never let them up on it...They come into my bed in the am after DH leaves for work to wake me up and snuggle/ wrestle. I wish I had never let them up on it! Can't sleep past 7! Oh, well, I cant imagine not having a snuggle(they are secretly cleaning out their eyegunk, I know better) wake up, that would be a very sad start of the day....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Reich is allowed on the furniture. She moves when told and with 3 young boys...let's just say I've given up on the idea that my furniture will ever stay looking new for long.

The pup...he'll climb up, but not to lay on the furniture. He only comes up when I'm on it and likes to curl up right under my chin. He's a cuddler.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree with Lin, so long as their isn't a respect issue and they recognize you as the alpha, then I don't see the whole "same level" issue comming into play.

And Onyx, i have a whole close full of twin sheets (we no longer have a twin bed in the house) that I use on the sofa, so I can just pull off and wash. I have microfiber, in RED lol the only thing is they like to drool on the arm rests. arrrgg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts