German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Cypress Texas , living in this house for 5 years with my husb and son , my GSD came here since he was 6 months old, now he is almost 5 yrs old. I have a letter from the homeowners saying that he barks too much. Yes he is a barker but only when I take him out for his ditties or play or watch my son when he is outside playing(outside is back yard). He is that way , i live in a corner on a house. when some one walks by , sure he barks. He is not aggressive , is just protective. He lives inside the house. Now we have a letter : Article VI Section L: General Nuisances. Now my husb says that he is going to find a place for him because the next thing is that they will come and take him away. Is that possible? ... I don't want to loose him, my son is in tears. Please any advice? what should I do? Thank you

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
HOA, such a PITA!! Seriously, mine is great about keeping the grass cut and picking up the trash but some of the other things, Sheesh, they annoy me! Anyway, I don't know how to teach it but I'm sure some here can help you but there is a quiet command or a no- bark command. I wish my next door neighbors would teach their dogs that one.

Good luck, it would suck to have to lose your dog because of stupid rules.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I dont see what the problem is if he lives inside. I would contact hoa and find out any specifics. If his barking is only when your outside with him and not at night there shouldn't be any problem unless its someone who might have issues with gsd's that is making the complaint. Mine barks when neighbors walk by, thats what dogs do. If my neighbors ever complained to community center (military housing) we would move before we got rid of our dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He knows all commands , i stay at home with him. actually he cant help it. when he goes out he has to bark. my concern is how bad the hoa will get?, or can they do it?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I live in Cypress Texas , living in this house for 5 years with my husb and son , my GSD came here since he was 6 months old, now he is almost 5 yrs old. I have a letter from the homeowners saying that he barks too much. Yes he is a barker but only when I take him out for his ditties or play or watch my son when he is outside playing(outside is back yard). He is that way , i live in a corner on a house. when some one walks by , sure he barks. He is not aggressive , is just protective. He lives inside the house. Now we have a letter : Article VI Section L: General Nuisances. Now my husb says that he is going to find a place for him because the next thing is that they will come and take him away. Is that possible? ... I don't want to loose him, my son is in tears. Please any advice? what should I do? Thank you
I don't believe that an HOA can take away your dog. I do think that they can fine you, and continue to fine you. Be sure to actually read your CC&R's and see what they say. Some HOA's can't collect fines until you move, others will take you to court right away, so what happens if you don't pay the fine is another question.

It sounds like your dog is left in the yard unattended?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I would also check on what the noise laws are in your area. In my county dogs can bark from 7a until 11p after that they have to be quiet or inside or the owner can be fined. I don't think my HOA can trump the law. If you have a noise law and you are falling with in it then your HOA may not be able to say "boo" to you.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
This sounds a lot more like a question for a legal counsel than a GSD board if you as me.

THe DOG suggestion I have for you is perhaps to teach him to bark on command so you can stop the barking. Barking dogs can be very annoying to neighbors. I don't permit Elsa to bark when people are simply walking by our house or when she's in the yard. When someone rings the doorbell or knocks--yes.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
this is exactly why i dont want anything to do with HOA/covented communities. I dont need anyone else telling me how to live my life, decorate my yard and such. And i sure dont need to be paying ANYTHING else to some power happy dope/group. I hope you're able to figure this out. If your dog is barking during the day, all they can do is complain. Not much else can be done is the law in your area have "nuisance hours".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this barking is only when he goes out, No more than 30 mns outside, of course not barking always. where can i find my cc&r?
thanks

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I hate HOA's! Check to see what your city ordinance is on it. A neighbor a few doors down from me called the city and complained about a rottie across the street from her barking (during the day). They ended up in court and the guy won because the barking was not during off hours (9pm to 9am). I loved it because she is a total Gladys Kravitz!

I'm in Plano so check with your city.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My HOA is great, but they have a point. No they can't take him away, but they can ask you to move. Teach him the quiet command barking dogs are a pain however, most cities have noise ordinances which trump HOA guidelines. For instance in my town it is 11:00 pm, but check what your's is.

On a side note when we got my lab the first night home he howled and howled in the crate and howled outside when I took him to potty at 1 in the morning. My ex-neighbors who hated dogs called the police who showed up an hour later when we were all fast asleep. I woke up because I saw someone flashing a light in my window and freaked out thinking it was an intruder. So I wake hubby who grabs a baseball bat and goes out to be confronted by a cop- talk about funny. So we invite the cop in and show him the cute culprit,lol The guy laughed and then told us about his vindictive neighbors who called the cops on him when he got his lab for the same reason. Apparently noise after 11 at night has to be constant not a few wimpers in the night so we were not in any trouble.

If his barking is not constant, not in the middle of the night, or a constant disruption I'm sure your fine:)

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
this barking is only when he goes out, No more than 30 mns outside, of course not barking always. where can i find my cc&r?
thanks
You should have received a copy of yoru CC&R's when you moved in. If you can't find them, your HOA may have them online, or you will have to call the office. Of course if you are renting, you might not have received them, although you are supposed to.

IF this is a first notice by the HOA, you can probably work with them in terms of the fine. Even if you can't, you need to do something about the barking. In particular, you absolutely have to teach him to not bark at folks walking by. That means supervising him when he is in the yard and training him to what is appropriate and not appropriate. In your neighborhood, you will have to teach him that barking at folks walking by is not appropriate. If you don't have a solid fence, it may or may not be more difficult.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
He knows all commands , i stay at home with him. actually he cant help it. when he goes out he has to bark. my concern is how bad the hoa will get?, or can they do it?
Since both of the bolded statements just aren't true..... that's GREAT NEWS for you.

Barking when you are there is ONLY a training issue! You've trained him to keep barking because you haven't taught him to STOP. So now you just need him to learn to stop barking initially. And then learn that he doesn't have to bark at all when you are with him and calm (ie not being killed by a mass murderer).

I have GSD's, had them for years. I'm on my 3rd and NONE of them 'can't help barking'. And none of them 'have to bark'. They either bark cause it's fun. Bark cause they are afraid. Bark to alert me to something. Or just bark cause they haven't (yet) been taught to STOP it's not appropriate (rude?).

Off hand, I'd see what your instructor recommends from your obedience classes. If you haven't been for awhile, just go back to the sessions for a brush up so your dog will again learn that you are the leader and you don't EXPECT him to have to bark at everyone cause you've got a handle on the situation.

Other great thing about going back to the classes is it shows your HOA that you realize the situation is a problem and your neighbors are right to be bothered, so are taking it seriously enough to do something about it! The weekly classes and steady improvement will give you the time to work through this and re-train your dog.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Why do people say things like this? The OP has already received a formal notice, clearly, it's not fine.
Because there are actual laws in place that prevent irritations from being legal infractions. Like in my case where yes our HOA has rules about noise, but the police made it clear whether or not a short period of puppy wimpering was annoying it was not illegal. 30 minutes is a long time to have to listen to someone's dog barking that is a different story, but a bark here and there is to be expected. The notice she got just stated the rule about noise because obviously someone complained- what she needs to do is find out what can be done about it on there end, and work on his noise on her end. But thinking your going to lose your dog is probably over the top:)

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Because there are actual laws in place that prevent irritations from being legal infractions.
Right, but we are talking about an HOA rule violation, which can be as much as $100 or more per violation, which is very different than a legal infraction, and also has different standards of proof (i.e. possibly no proof required at all except heresay). You are talking apples and oranges.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
And thats when you find out how much power your HOA has. In my case my county laws trump our HOA's so for me a legal infraction is all I have to worry about. I don't know what her case is, but finding out is a first step as well as working on this dog's noise. I'm not saying she should let her dog bark and bug an entire neighborhood- I have a neighbor like that I can't type what I wish upon her dog. I just don't think she should be so stressed about the situation, talk about getting rid of the dog, and getting her son sad and worked up over this. Get a hold of the barking, and find out specifically what the HOA can and can't do. Tell them your working on the situation and take it seriously, but be realistic and don't think the HOA can take your animal- I'm pretty sure they can't.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.