German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
These FYDO beds are great! I bought two in 1997 shortly after they opened for business, and they lasted a very long time. One lasted 11 years and I only threw it out because my older dog peed all over it and I gave up on it. The other one is still floating around, but wearing out now after 18 years. I bought two new ones last year and my dog loves them.

For Your Dogs Only - Bagel Beds

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
The round Costco beds are cheap, nice-looking and fluffy, but they compress and don't last well. The filling is is not good quality. They're not any of my dogs' first choice to lay upon if they are more than 1 year old.

For longevity, the best quality/value proposition I've been able to find is these orthopedic foam beds, through Groupon:
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ultra-plush-or-faux-fur-pet-mattress

The JUMBO size is about 4" thick. The covers are washable (though it takes 2 people to get the cover back on because they're tight). They hold up much better than the Costco beds. My dogs all love them, and they'll jostle to be the first to claim that bed. At about $35 (inc. shipping), they are a great deal.

Once in a while, Tuesday Morning gets some very high quality (memory foam) beds in at great prices, but it's always hit-and-miss as to what they'll have at any given time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whoa, it's really bad that he tore up all his beds. I had a similar problem with my dog. He never liked dog beds, as he liked to sleep with me. It was very difficult to find a good bed that he liked. I found one, but over time it started to smell, so I had to throw it away. I started looking for a bed that was similar in shape and color, but with one difference. It must be washable. A friend of mine advised me to look at pupsterpassion.com , which has a lot of articles on washable beds. When I found something similar to the one that was before, he really fell in love with her and now he rests only in this bed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We got a cot from 'Chewey .com' as we were setting it up Saint just knew it was for him and immediately took to it.

btw a dog trainer had one to teach the dog to 'place'...took the wife a while to warm of to it though. She didn't want to sacrifice floor space.

The canvass ripped out twice but Chewey graciously replaced it and the present one has lasted over a year.

·
Super Moderator
3,126 Posts
Lots of old threads popping up.

I use Kuranda beds. They last forever.

I also have an assortment of cheap fluffy beds around that get washed until they die and then get replaced. It's mostly my senior dog that uses them.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
If I had a puppy (i.e. a chewer), I’d get a Kuranda. I just have the Coolaro cots since I haven’t had a puppy in almost 4 years. I didn’t think my dogs would ever get on a cot, but they’ve all loved it.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Looks like a resurrected thread. I like those cots, may try one to see how it lasts. What I typically do currently is buy moving blankets from Harbor Freight. They're cheap and padded.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use comforters from Goodwill. I can wash them anytime, they dry fluffy. They can be used in any room or the car. I also have 2 dog beds I picked up on sale. They DO look better in the family room. When they get chewed or torn, just throw them away. Jake made his last trip to the vet wrapped in one. Sad day, but I would not have wanted to keep it after he passed away on it. Every time I would look at it...
I also had a crib mattress for the old pit bull with arthritis in his spine. Don't know whether it helped or not, but he liked it.
Frankly, I think dogs are so good at making themselves right at home, it doesn't matter what bed you choose.

·
Registered
262 Posts
After my dog keep obliterating beds and sleeping in the floor, I gave up on them. He occasionally sleeps in the couch, but outside or on the floor are his preferences. The puppy sleeps in his kennel at night and I put a blanket for him to sleep in in there. He’s about 50/50 on using it though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I never even had dog beds for the first 4 GSD I had, never really thought about the need for it as our bedroom is carpeted. I got talked into one for the older pup (now 6). He loved it and I got broken :LOL:

We pretty much have gone with Costco and now have one in the TV room, the living room and two in the bedroom (6 year old and 7 month old GSD) NO dogs on the bed ;)

But the problem is they are big, the pup at 7 months has already outgrown the 42" bed

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I never even had dog beds for the first 4 GSD I had, never really thought about the need for it as our bedroom is carpeted. I got talked into one for the older pup (now 6). He loved it and I got broken :LOL:
You got broken! Between Agis peeing on beds as a puppy and shredding others, most recently poor Neb's (he's 12) giant bed, our three now have a king-size bed they share with two humans and occasionally two cats. I think we'll wait until Agis is a bit less of a puppy (he's 11 months) before shelling out for something nice for the dogs again.

(We were on vacation last winter in a cabin up north with a king-sized bed, and despite Neb's bed making the trip, we had three dogs in bed every night for 16 days and still had lots of space - so swore to replace our queen bed at home (which to be fair, was also on the list of beds Agis had peed on when younger - he went through a phase of peeing on soft things).)

·
Registered
186 Posts
We have a variety, partly because I like spoiling my dogs. Very popular is the oh-so-cheap Amazon product that they love and which is lightweight and easily moved from room to room or even out into the yard when we want to do stuff out there. And then there's the luxury product, probably only viable in the UK but they might ship abroad. And finally, the favourite bed of all... MY bed! ;-)

IMG_0878.jpeg IMG_1261.jpeg

·
Registered
473 Posts
You got broken! Between Agis peeing on beds as a puppy and shredding others, most recently poor Neb's (he's 12) giant bed, our three now have a king-size bed they share with two humans and occasionally two cats. I think we'll wait until Agis is a bit less of a puppy (he's 11 months) before shelling out for something nice for the dogs again.

(We were on vacation last winter in a cabin up north with a king-sized bed, and despite Neb's bed making the trip, we had three dogs in bed every night for 16 days and still had lots of space - so swore to replace our queen bed at home (which to be fair, was also on the list of beds Agis had peed on when younger - he went through a phase of peeing on soft things).)
Not a chance I'm having a dog of any size on the bed.....it's bad enough when they watch from the floor o_O

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Not a chance I'm having a dog of any size on the bed.....it's bad enough when they watch from the floor o_O
Our beagle licks our feet...talk about a mood killer! (We actually do have a cushion on the floor we banish him to now...Agis has yet to destroy it)

Reactions: Cadfael

·
Registered
16 Posts
Roscoe has lost his privilege to own one. He gets the floor or the crate with the bare metal. When he stop shredding and eating his beds, I might consider it again. He is not allowed on human beds or couches either. Yes, I run a tight ship and he only gets what he earns.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts