German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically what the title says. What kind of dog bed do you have and why? The dog bed we currently have he doesn't like to really use and prefers the ground to it. He has also ripped up all his crate mat beds.

The only "dog bed" he ever really enjoyed using was the bed topper from our old mattress, but it started to really smell and became uncleanable so we have to get rid of it.

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
I've had a Coolaroo together for 15 minutes. It's been claimed. And they are on sale on Amazon for $26.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use a toddler mattress for Kaya. She loves it and has never tried to shred or ip it. It goes in her crate which she loves to spend her time in. She does have a blanket on top which I wash from time to time.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Nitro has a wrought iron single day bed, with 5 large pillows and a bolster. I've owned it over 2 decades, it wasn't bought as a dog bed. The bolster and pillows were purchased when we were staging our previous home for sale. Kind of embarrassing how regal he looks when he's on it. He likes sleeping under it as well. Plus a crate, a cotton rug in the living room, and 2 separate rugs on my bedroom floor, one situated with good airflow from the airconditioning, the other situated sheltered from airconditioning. A dog kennel with a front porch for outdoors, never used, and the back seat of my Yaris for commuting. He likes the cool floor tiles in the hallway as well.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My Senior GSD has two beds that are her old dog bed covers with a memory foam pad inside. I bought a twin sized memory foam pad and cut it up to fit in her bed covers. I would get her a super nice small mattress but she would probably trip on it. My puppy prefers to sleep on the floor but also sleeps on the bed or couch if she's cold…I bought her a fancy new bed from Bass Pro shop and the first day I had it in her crate she ripped it up…so she dosent like dog beds apparently.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Some of my favorites...and I am a connoisseur of dog beds lol...

#1 custom made toddler bed I had done for my old dog years ago. Still have it, still a pack favorite (get a waterproof mattress cover), 4" firm foam, 4" memory foam. In hindsight, 2" memory foam would have been sufficient. Have a second toddler bed with 2" memory foam topper held together w/waterproof mattress cover and fitted sheet. Also a favorite.

We have one giant Big Barker that has never been a real hit (too firm?) ? My pup who just passed 80# and is about a mile long is starting to enjoy it because besides my bed, it is the only one he can stretch out in.

Big Barker's crate bed I really love. Tough cover, waterproof, thick enough. A+

A boarder of mine brings his K9 Ballistics chew proof bed, similar the canvas big barker, good bed for chewers.

An old denim bed that has shredded memory foam in it, no idea manufacturer, but they all love this bed because it is more nest like.

Unsupervised puppy gets his Kuranda cot and a Primo Pad in his kennel. This is standard for my boarders who chew, are young, ect. Like both a lot. Pup has had a Primo in his crate since day 1. Puke and other stuff wipes right off, softer and quieter than a crate pan.

I got the Kuranda w/vinyl for cleaning/sanitizing/durability. But am thinking of getting him their mesh cot because he gets so hot and night and it might help him sleep better. Edit: the vinyl doesn't make him hot, the kuranda is not in the bedroom. He just gets hot sleeping on regular beds and we have radiant heat so he can't use the hardwood to cool off. So I thought maybe putting the mesh cot in bedroom would solve his problem, we will see

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Kuranda Bed - got this for Mayzie when she was a chewer almost 10 years ago. Still going strong.

Since they no longer chew, they each have one of these orthopedic Dr. Foster's and Smith beds:

And then also this thicker Dr. Foster's bed:

Mine both like their beds and almost always choose them over the carpet. They are also both allowed on our bed but not on the couch.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
one day I will get kuranda beds for outdoors, but for indoors, I trend towards Costcos flavor of the month. I don't bother with the round/cedar beds that they stock year round - I like beds that keep their shape better.... but they always have some sort of step above that in the $40ish category, and very thick ortho!

·
Super Moderator
32,036 Posts
Kuranda beds are fantastic, but they are pricey. We have two in the garage pen. In the house, the dogs have fleece pads in their crates, or they just sleep on the carpeted floor.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hmmm...my first shepherd liked to stretch way out, and my second liked to curl up in a ball. I think I will have to wait to buy nice beds for my next pup until I see how he likes to sleep! I had to leave my first guy's crate open at night, because he stretched w-a-y out! :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Beau flips over the Kurunda bed and drags it around though Tilly loves it. Coming up with a way to secure it. He would just as soon lie on the concrete. But I will say moving pads are a hit and don't get torn up.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Costco beds are decent and cheap, or Delgado has a toddler bed and mattress in the bedroom which he loves

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
K9 Ballistics orthopedic crate pad. If she's not in the crate, she's got "her" chair. She's never minded her crate and has often chosen to nap there, but she sure goes in there to rest a LOT more now that we bought the pad. I'll be buying a second to go in her spare crate.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have two of these beds and after more than a year they are still in fantastic shape. Not for lack of they dogs digging in them, thrashing them about, using them as tug toys, and generally sleeping on them. The foam is still cushy and they come in an assortment of colors that allowed me to match them to the decor in my bedroom and livingroom. I found mine for cheaper at PetSmart though. I wouldn't pay $200 for a dog bed. I did pay $75 though. :D

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-Pets-Memory-Foam/dp/B00PITNRCG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1460434755&sr=8-5&keywords=martha+stewart+dog+bed[/ame]

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a couple of the large rectangle beds from Costco which are good support but my boy gets too hot on them eventually. I don't want him routinely laying/sleeping on the hardwood or tile. I would really love to find a truly cool (temperature) mattress for him in the house, I'm relegated to wearing sweaters year round! I use an orthopedic foam from Petsmart in the car, fits perfectly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts