German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some conversation about under the skin lumps and bumps that keep appearing on my 6 year old GSD.

I've been told by my vet and also here on this forum that as long as they aren't "attached" to anything and don't hurt the dog when I manipulate them, I should just get over
it http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif

They just bother the heck out of me to see and feel them. What's more is that he is getting more of them. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/smilies/cry.gif

Surely there must be some reason they have started showing up and surely there must be some way to bring them to a head or to shrink them somehow. I know they can be cut out but that's pretty radical when it's only a matter of esthetics and not a health issue.

Anyone have any input? Anyone else find these bothersome?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our previous dog, a Aussie/GSD mix had them. The first one was about the diameter of a quarter and hard in the center of her chest. The vet wanted to remove it. They did a biopsy and nothing negative. She then had another one, it sounds gross, but I punctured it and squeezed some hard white stuff out of it, and that was gone and did not return. The last one she had was deeper and I just left it alone, it never changed size so I figured it was OK.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering Gretchen. I've often thought of doing the same thing. I'll be interested in hearing if any one else has done the same.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Pongu had a little (about 3mm in diameter) bump on his side for a while. It was right under the skin and felt hard. I'm super paranoid about my dog's health so I watched it obsessively, but it stayed the same for several months.

Then suddenly it started growing quickly, and within a week was about 7-8mm in diameter, so I asked my vet to find out what it was. The vet aspirated the bump and sent the sample in for analysis.

Over the weekend, while waiting to hear back from the lab, I noticed that the bump continued to ooze a clear fluid. It did this until it was completely gone. On Monday the vet called me and said it was a benign fluid-filled cyst, and there was nothing more to be done about it except watch to see if it came back. That was a year ago, and there's been no sign of the bump returning.

Pongu now has another very similar bump on the inside of one of his thighs, but once again it's not really doing anything so, for the time being, I'm just watching it to see if anything changes.

He just turned 3 last month and he's not a purebred GSD so I'm not sure my experience will be that helpful to you, but hey, can't hurt.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My Samoyed has / had several of these she is 8yrs old. As gross as it is I pop them and they heal up with the help of some peroxide and neosporin. There is one that is clearly uncomfortable for me to pop so I have just been trying to scrape the top of it off and let it seep while putting peroxide and neosporin on it. They started about 4 years ago showing up, I freaked out thought it was cancer went to vets and he said they are cysts / abscesses. He burst one of them while I was there and it had a white / yellow thick pus consistency. All the ones I have popped since are the same, when and if something changes with them I will have her back but he seemed to not think it was a big deal. She has 3 of them right now, two which I have popped and been treating the other which I scrape and treat.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Traveler's lumps are below the surface of the skin and don't have any head on them so I think to pop them would require making a cut or puncture. Is that how you all do it or do you have different lumps that are on or closer to the surface?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Traveler's lumps are below the surface of the skin and don't have any head on them so I think to pop them would require making a cut or puncture. Is that how you all do it or do you have different lumps that are on or closer to the surface?
There is no real "head" on it like a pimple. If you observe it closely ( I use a magnifying glass but Im half blind lol) there is almost like a enlarged pore on it which is usually where the contents come out of. She had a very large one last year about the size of a quarter and when it popped it ruptured and split open, oddly enough it barely bled, just a couple drops of blood. They are under the skin not attached to anything and have no real head. They do require a good bit of pressure to pop but not so much that she is yelping in pain. The one that she does yelp in pain from is the one that I scratch the top of it with a small pin (not poke scratch) and have been letting seep out little by little / treating with peroxide and neosporin. When I saw the vet about it he said the cause is either dirt being ground into the skin (we do a lot outdoors and go camping a lot) kind of like a big pimple or genetic he really could not give a good reason.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Don't try to force on to "pop" if you squeeze it you can actually distribute the stuff under the skin and cause an infection!!
If they are seeping stuff try some warm compresses, it seems to make the goo a bit less hard (My Mojo's always drain well after a warm bath)

Mojo has a few of them, one that came to a head and burst spewing out a bunch of disgusting grey cheesy stuff.
It keeps filling up and "erupting" more goo and bleeding a bit - the problem is unless I clean it every day it get's infected and gooey.

She's due for her vaccination next week so I'll ask the vet to have another look - last time she said she didn't want to put her under anaesthetic just to remove that but the fact that it's not ever "healing" worries me.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mooch,
Please let us know what your vet says.

Diesel and Lace,
Thank you for the great description. I clearly understand now. I'm going to get my magnification glass out as soon as I get home. Don't know why I never thought to do that before.:confused:

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Zoey had a lump on her side. After losing my lab to hermangiosarcoma just a few month earlier I was freaking out about it. The vet lanced it and it popped like a big pimple and it hasn't returned.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you're at all concerned you can have your vet aspirate it do a cytology. I've seen a handful of dogs where lipomas (fatty tumors) grow so big it hindered the dog's ability to even walk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried coconut oil? My kelpie /staffy x is prone to small, hard lumps and one of them on her hind leg had started to grow till it was about 15mm long. It is unattached to the underlying tissue, and is firm and furred. According to my vet they are not an issue.
I had stopped her giving her coconut oil and started it again to see if there would be any improvement. Within a couple of days there was already a noticeable decrease in size, and it is continually slowly shrinking. If you want to try it, get an 'extra virgin' or unrefined coconut oil for the most benefit. I give my dog a heaped teaspoon daily and she weighs about 20kg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts