German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and ascorbic acid and rosemary extract). Lamb Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Flax Seed, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewer Dried Yeast, Egg Product, Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic, DHA, Ginger, Primrose Oil, Glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin, Trace Mineral Salt, DL Methione, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Coral Calcium, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Niacin Supplement, Choline chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Omega 3 / Omega 6 Oils, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Calcium lodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Colostrum, Blue/Green Algae, Pectin, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger

Expensive Ingredients for sure.....

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Vets Choice Holistic Health Extension Original

Do I win a prize? lol.... I wouldn't feed it, but doesn't look horrible?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Vets Choice Holistic Health Extension Original

Do I win a prize? lol.... I wouldn't feed it, but doesn't look horrible?

You are right.

I am laughing. Aren't you going crazy to buy a Diamond food at Costco?

And you wouldn't feed this. LOL...Ok ok you couldn't know the difference in the quality because of what I was saying before about grades of ingredients.

The ingredients in this food cost more than the retail price of the Costco food. You would never find DSM's vitamins in a Diamond product.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Decent food for a decent price.

Don't know much about the company that makes the food, but I'm not seeing any red flags in the ingredient list.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Most the references I've read have said four, and given that the first ingredient is a meat in pre-kibbled form [and would thus appear far lower in the ingredient list], chicken fat is essentially the fourth ingredient, as cautioned against by Purdue.

The Effect of Ingredients in Dry Dog Foods on the Risk of Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus in Dogs -- Raghavan et al. 42 (1): 28 -- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association

With that said, there are methodological problems with the study, and GSDs were not included in the study population, hence my caution.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
If there's any legitimacy to the Purdue Bloat Study, chicken fat as a kibble ingredient is a bloat risk.

Garlic is toxic to dogs.

Why add Omega 6 to a kibble? It defeats the purpose of having added the Omega 3.
IMO, there is little legitimacy to the purdue bloat study, as it wasnt a true research study.

garlic in the right form and amounts is not at all toxic to dogs. heck, i know tons of gsd owners using bug off garlic on a regular basis.

back to this food. what bugs me is the most assuredly false advertising tag they use "What’s more, organic chicken is now our #1 ingredient"

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMO, there is little legitimacy to the purdue bloat study, as it wasnt a true research study.

garlic in the right form and amounts is not at all toxic to dogs. heck, i know tons of gsd owners using bug off garlic on a regular basis.

back to this food. what bugs me is the most assuredly false advertising tag they use "What’s more, organic chicken is now our #1 ingredient"
Yeah I agree the Number #1 ingredient thing is cheesy but there is Meal after it. This is a very good traditional kibble with very expensive ingredients. A very good deal if you can find it.

As far as garlic being toxic, large quantities can cause anemia. The internet spins such tails doesn't it? Like Corn causing allergies and cannot be digested.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or like venison being an inferior protein source?
You are misquoting me. I said venison & lamb for companion dogs is fine but sporting people like poultry better.

I get samples of that food at shows and it is very well made, hard, dense, nice kibble size. Good for treats. I wish the guy would make a 30/20 performance.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You are misquoting me. I said venison & lamb for companion dogs is fine but sporting people like poultry better.

I get samples of that food at shows and it is very well made, hard, dense, nice kibble size. Good for treats. I wish the guy would make a 30/20 performance.
That's fair. I did take your words a bit out of context.

However.
Umm...
Hi. I'm sporting people. I prefer red meat.

You can't make blanket statements about an entire [very large, incredibly varied] group of people's preferences.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You are right.

I am laughing. Aren't you going crazy to buy a Diamond food at Costco?

And you wouldn't feed this. LOL...Ok ok you couldn't know the difference in the quality because of what I was saying before about grades of ingredients.

The ingredients in this food cost more than the retail price of the Costco food. You would never find DSM's vitamins in a Diamond product.

I wouldn't feed it, because I can't. I said if you do, that's cool.. but I can't feed it because my dog can't eat it!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Well, they get a black mark from me because they are putting "organic chicken" and advertising as such. Considering technically ALL chicken is "organic" (at least in the US), I absolutley cring when this advertising label is placed on food.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Well, they get a black mark from me because they are putting "organic chicken" and advertising as such. Considering technically ALL chicken is "organic" (at least in the US), I absolutley cring when this advertising label is placed on food.
Can you elaborate on this? I wasn't aware of that. Why are they all organic?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa.

Far from it. The FDA Organic label has specific criteria attached to it, and far from all chicken are organic.

As an example, chicken bearing the FDA Organic seal cannot have been fed hormones to artificially stimulate growth, and cannot be fed Genetically Modified Foods [like GMO corn, for example].

Those are just two of several, off the top of my head.

With that said?
This product actually contains very *little* Organic Chicken- it only appears first in the ingredient list due to creative labeling loopholes courtesy of the way AAFCO regulates labels.

In reality, the first ingredient is Chicken Meal [which potentially, is a very high quality ingredient, and generally a good thing to see appear as the main ingredient in a food.]

*Could* the chicken meal have been produced from organic chickens? Yes.
It's not actually possible to get chicken meal labeled organic, because only foods produced for human consumption can receive the organic label- and chicken meal is never produced for human consumption.

Aside from the potentially misleading organic statements, I don't see any other of the common "label tricks" pet food companies employ, and that *almost* makes me willing to forgive the somewhat misleading organic claims.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts