German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the course of years, I have read threads about contractors, meter readers leaving gates open, dogs got out. And that some companies call to let people know they are coming.

Doesn't really affect me, because my meter is on the sidewalk to the front of my home, and no gates need be molested by the readers in order for them to get their readings.

I have been in this location for 15 or 16 years, and have had GSDs all of that time. Never a problem. In the past few months, I have been getting a canned call from the Illuminating Company warning me that they are coming to read my meter, and I am getting this because I have requested that they let me know because I have dogs on the premises, and to please make sure they are not loose.

I never requested such a service.

My dogs NEVER run loose on my property. Sometimes I get this notice for three days in a row. It is irritating.

I called and told them my dogs are not and never have been an issue, and my meter is not within any fences. They told me they would take care of it.

I got another call the next day, and the following day the guy came. Yes, my dogs barked. They always do. That is why I knew the guy was there. But, why am I suddenly getting these messages?

New meter reader?

Next time they do this, I am going to corner the guy out there and ask him, I guess.

I found it rather insulting. But I suppose people will find any excuse to be insulted these days.

·
Super Moderator
5,871 Posts
Our power company implemented a new rule last year that their meter readers are not allowed to leave their vehicles if there is an unsecured dog or even one that's tethered.We don't get calls though.Made me wonder if there was a lawsuit involved.In your case perhaps every customer with a dog gets a call so the company can prove they are doing everything in their power to keep their employees safe?

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Well, would you rather get some help with your computer? Or maybe a call for senior help? Or a solicitation for I forget just what? Heck, send me your number & I'll do what I can to see these folks get ahold of you. Maybe a free cruise???

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
This day and age with all the litigation and liability exposure corporations ( including their employees) as well as the general public deal with, they probably just operate in an overarching mode.

I don't know if and/or how you have your dogs licensed/registered in your city or county but it wouldn't surprise me if many companies which send their employees to a dog owner's property just tap into a database( such as city licensing for pets ) which shows you have dogs on your premises. So, they just send everyone on the list the robocall in hopes to try their best to cover their rear ends if an employee gets bit while out on the job or leaves a gate open.

I'd be a bit careful about pressing the Illuminatin Company as they are just one letter extra from the Illuminati.

SuperG

·
Registered
980 Posts
If the meter is outside the fence, I'd put locks on all doors and gates and add their phone number to your phone's ignore list.

·
Super Moderator
2,332 Posts
Our power company implemented a new rule last year that their meter readers are not allowed to leave their vehicles if there is an unsecured dog or even one that's tethered.We don't get calls though.Made me wonder if there was a lawsuit involved.In your case perhaps every customer with a dog gets a call so the company can prove they are doing everything in their power to keep their employees safe?
I think this is the main reason. I just went to a NARI seminar on contract law, and NARI is now officially recommending that its members include a clause in their contracts mandating that it is the homeowner's responsibility to contain all pets away from the working job site area, with no exceptions.

If you follow that to the letter, if you show up to steam clean carpets and a cat is hanging out on the living room rug, your client is in breach of their contract duties (or however the correct legal terminology plays out). Ridiculous example, but NARI and other governing bodies are also hammering home the fact that all clients are supposed to be subject to the exact same terms.

Fear of insurance issues, injury, lawsuit, etc. feeds regulations like this, in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I live out in the county. Recently, they changed our meters and are now read 'on line'. I received notification via phone that the meter reader was coming - they didn't tell me it was to update my meter, just that they were coming.

Before that we received estimated bills and had to contest the bill if they were way off. A human would come out every so often to read the meter and we were either credited or charged for the difference.

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the canned message states that you could just read your own meter and plug it in on line, but I am not on line at home, and I have no desire to do their job for them.

They say that they think it is a new meter reader, must have saw that I had dogs and got me put on the list.

It probably is a courtesy. I mean, if your dog does take a chunk out of one them you are liable. So they are letting you know that you better have your dogs contained. My thing is, that's fine for people who have a meter inside a fenced yard, but if your your meter is out in the open.

But then there are invisible fences everywhere. I HATE invisible fences!!!

Oh and Middleofnowhere, yeah, I get all the election calls, cops and other charity calls, cruises, and my personal favorite calls for a free home security system. Tell me how to get rid of those yayhoos and we're in business.

ETA sorry for the spellin' error in the title, SuperG.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Yes, the canned message states that you could just read your own meter and plug it in on line, but I am not on line at home, and I have no desire to do their job for them.
You misunderstand me. They now can see my meter on line, through the magic of technology. The only thing I do now is check to make sure I'm not being cheated. So far they've been pretty much spot on.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
When I was putting my fence up the permit read that the meter was on the inside, which I caught before the fence went up. We moved it back so the meter is not in the yard and all gates have lock. I think they now use guns similar to radar guns and can just drive by and aim at meter to get the reading, they never have to leave the truck.

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, Lilie, I read yours ok. But my co, says we can read our own meter and plug the numbers in.

llombardo, our guy hiked all the way up to the house to get his reading today, so they must not have those guns. Of course if someone got out of their truck and pointed a gun at my house, I would probably freak. LOL! The first time I saw a state boy outside his car taking a bead on my car with a radar gun, I almost went off the road.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
When I complained to my electric company a few years ago about a snotty meter reader who refused to blow his horn before coming onto my property, they installed a new meter that can be read electronically from the street which solved the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts