German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My 18 wk old GSD Dansby is not feeling well today. He was fine this morning and afternoon, we did training and he took a nap, but when he woke up he was a little sluggish.He didnt do a lot of physical activity either, just normal play. We went out before dinner to play with our neighbor's dogs and he was ok, just not as much energy as normal. He was still running and playing. Then we noticed him limping and not putting weight on his back foot. We didnt see him take any major tumbles, but it's possible he could've stepped in a hole or something. Now poor buddy is still limping and is very lethargic. He isn't really weak, and can stand and move fine except that leg, but seems so tired he didn't want to walk to bed and had to be carried. He doesn't wince or anything when we touch and gently squeeze up and down the leg either.

He also was treated for hookworms and a UTI recently and seemed to be doing much better until today. He is showing some signs of having a uti again. He pees fine, but then he will try to pee again and just stand there like he is having a hard time pushing it out. Another thing that was off today was a gunky eye. I gave him some drops for it, but with several things happening at once I am FREAKING OUT. He's my first puppy in a long time lol. He's going to the vet tomorrow regardless, just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar?

He is utd on all shots, heartworm pills, worm meds etc. He gets a large breed puppy food and I make some of his food too, all approved by the vet.

Poop is solid, gums pink, no vomiting, no fever, nose wet, belly fine, paws normal and no other symptoms.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Good call to take him to the vet to clear him. What did they say?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sounds like UTI or possible bladder stones. The limping could be due to pano (panosteitis). It is very common in growing German shepherds, and needs no treatment other than pain relief and reducing the dog's activity level until it resolves on its own. Vets sometimes call it 'growing pains'!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Limping may be pano... hope the vet knows to check for that...

Reactions: huntergreen

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
Pano can be diagnosed by the pinch test at the vet. Griff, now almost 10 months old, had it briefly a few months ago. Gave him 1000 mg of Vit. C twice a day and Golden Paste (google), Bovine Colostrum and it was gone in two weeks. Could be luck but still.. He is still on it. Keep your dog lean and no jumping or strenuous exercise.
For the lethargy: did he eat something? Poison? Weeds? When in doubt, see the vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts